Eligibility for Benefits
4. (1) Subject to this Part, an annuity or other benefit specified in this Act shall be paid to or in respect of every person who, being required to contribute to the Superannuation Account or the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Pension Fund in accordance with this Part, ceases to be a member of the Force or dies, which annuity or other benefit shall, subject to this Part, be based on the number of years of pensionable service to the credit of that person.
Marginal note:Superannuation Account
(2) The Royal Canadian Mounted Police Pension Account established in the accounts of Canada pursuant to the former Act is hereby continued under the name of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Superannuation Account.
- R.S., 1985, c. R-11, s. 4;
- 1999, c. 34, s. 170.
Marginal note:Contribution rates — 2013 and later
5. (1) A member of the Force is required to contribute to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Pension Fund, in respect of every portion of the period beginning on January 1, 2013, by reservation from pay or otherwise, at the contribution rates determined by the Treasury Board in respect of that portion on the joint recommendation of the President of the Treasury Board and the Minister.
Marginal note:Contribution rates — 35 years of service
(2) A person who has to his or her credit, on or after January 1, 2013, a period of pensionable service — or a period of pensionable service and other pensionable service — totalling at least 35 years is not required to contribute under subsection (1) but is required to contribute, by reservation from pay or otherwise, to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Pension Fund, in respect of the period beginning on the later of January 1, 2013 and the day on which the person has to his or her credit those 35 years, in addition to any other amount required under this Act, at the rates determined by the Treasury Board on the joint recommendation of the President of the Treasury Board and the Minister.
Marginal note:Limitation — determination of contribution rate
(3) In determining the contribution rates for the purposes of subsections (1) and (2), the rates must not exceed the rates paid under section 5 of the Public Service Superannuation Act by Group 1 contributors described in subsection 12(0.1) of that Act.
Marginal note:Other pensionable service
(4) For the purpose of subsection (2), “other pensionable service” means years of service giving rise to a superannuation or pension benefit of a kind specified in the regulations that is payable
(a) out of the Consolidated Revenue Fund, or out of any account in the accounts of Canada other than the Superannuation Account; or
(b) out of the Canadian Forces Pension Fund within the meaning of the Canadian Forces Superannuation Act or the Public Service Pension Fund within the meaning of the Public Service Superannuation Act.
Marginal note:Contributions not required
(5) Despite anything in this Part, no person shall, in respect of any period of his or her service on or after December 15, 1994, make a contribution under this Part in respect of any portion of his or her annual rate of pay that is in excess of the annual rate of pay that is fixed by or determined in the manner prescribed by the regulations.
(6) A member of the Force who is engaged to work on average fewer than a number of hours per week or days per year prescribed in the regulations shall not contribute under this Act.
- R.S., 1985, c. R-11, s. 5;
- 1992, c. 46, s. 61;
- 1999, c. 34, s. 171;
- 2012, c. 31, s. 505.
- Date modified: