REVIEW OF COMPLIANCE WITH SECTIONS 4 TO 8
Marginal note:Investigation in respect of sections 4 to 8
37. (1) The Privacy Commissioner may, from time to time at the discretion of the Commissioner, carry out investigations in respect of personal information under the control of government institutions to ensure compliance with sections 4 to 8.
Marginal note:Sections 31 to 34 apply
(2) Sections 31 to 34 apply, where appropriate and with such modifications as the circumstances require, in respect of investigations carried out under subsection (1).
Marginal note:Report of findings and recommendations
(3) If, following an investigation under subsection (1), the Privacy Commissioner considers that a government institution has not complied with sections 4 to 8, the Commissioner shall provide the head of the institution with a report containing the findings of the investigation and any recommendations that the Commissioner considers appropriate.
Marginal note:Reports to be included in annual or special reports
(4) Any report made by the Privacy Commissioner under subsection (3) may be included in a report made pursuant to section 38 or 39.
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 111, Sch. II “37”.
REPORTS TO PARLIAMENT
Marginal note:Annual report
38. The Privacy Commissioner shall, within three months after the termination of each financial year, submit an annual report to Parliament on the activities of the office during that financial year.
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 111, Sch. II “38”.
Marginal note:Special reports
39. (1) The Privacy Commissioner may, at any time, make a special report to Parliament referring to and commenting on any matter within the scope of the powers, duties and functions of the Commissioner where, in the opinion of the Commissioner, the matter is of such urgency or importance that a report thereon should not be deferred until the time provided for transmission of the next annual report of the Commissioner under section 38.
Marginal note:Where investigation made
(2) Any report made pursuant to subsection (1) that relates to an investigation under this Act shall be made only after the procedures set out in section 35, 36 or 37 have been followed in respect of the investigation.
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 111, Sch. II “39”.
Marginal note:Transmission of reports
40. (1) Every report to Parliament made by the Privacy Commissioner under section 38 or 39 shall be made by being transmitted to the Speaker of the Senate and to the Speaker of the House of Commons for tabling in those Houses.
Marginal note:Reference to Parliamentary committee
(2) Every report referred to in subsection (1) shall, after it is transmitted for tabling pursuant to that subsection, be referred to the committee designated or established by Parliament for the purpose of subsection 75(1).
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 111, Sch. II “40”.
- Date modified: