Marginal note:Seal of office
60 (1) The Commissioner shall cause a seal to be made for the purposes of this Act and each certificate of plant breeder’s rights issued under paragraph 27(3)(b) to be sealed with that seal. The Commissioner may also cause any other instrument or copy of any document issuing from the Plant Breeders’ Rights Office to be sealed with that seal.
Marginal note:Notice of seal and other documents
(2) Every court, judge and person shall take notice of the seal of the Plant Breeders’ Rights Office and shall admit impressions of the seal in evidence without proof thereof and shall take notice of and admit in evidence, without further proof and without production of the originals, all copies or extracts certified under the seal to be copies of or extracts from documents on file in that Office.
- 1990, c. 20, s. 60;
- 2015, c. 2, s. 40(E).
Marginal note:Time limit extended
61 Where any time limit or period of limitation specified by or under this Act expires on a day when the Plant Breeders’ Rights Office is closed for business, that time limit or period of limitation shall be deemed to be extended to the next day when that Office is open for business.
62 The Commissioner may prepare an index of names, together with descriptions comprising particulars of distinguishing identifiable characteristics, of such plant varieties in each of the prescribed categories as are ascertainable by the Commissioner to exist as a matter of fact within common knowledge.
63 The Commissioner shall keep a register of plant breeders’ rights and, subject to the payment of any fee required under this Act to be paid in the case of any entry in the register, the Commissioner shall enter in it
(a) in relation to each plant variety that is the subject of those rights, the prescribed category to which it belongs;
(b) the denomination of the variety, and any change to that denomination;
(c) the full name and address of the breeder of that variety;
(d) the name and address of the person whom the Commissioner is satisfied, in the manner provided by or under this Act, ought to be registered as the holder of the plant breeder’s rights respecting that variety;
(e) the date of the grant of plant breeder’s rights respecting that variety;
(f) the date of, and the reason for, any termination or invalidation of plant breeder’s rights;
(g) if plant breeder’s rights are the subject of a compulsory licence under section 32, a statement to that effect;
(h) the prescribed particulars of each application for the grant of plant breeder’s rights and of any abandonment or withdrawal of the application; and
(i) the prescribed particulars, subject to the provisions of this Act and the regulations, that are considered by the Commissioner to be appropriate for entry in the register.
- 1990, c. 20, s. 63;
- 2015, c. 2, s. 41.
Marginal note:Evidence of registered matters
Marginal note:Certified copy or extract
(2) A document purporting to be a copy of any entry in, or an extract of any contents of, the register and to be certified by the Commissioner to be a true copy or extract is evidence of the entry or contents without further proof or production of the register.
- 1990, c. 20, s. 64;
- 2015, c. 2, s. 42(F).
Marginal note:Certificate of Commissioner
65 A certificate purporting to be made by the Commissioner to the effect that an entry has or has not been made in the register or that any other thing authorized by or under this Act to be done in the course of the administration of this Act has or has not been done is evidence of the matters specified in that certificate.
- 1990, c. 20, s. 65;
- 2015, c. 2, s. 43(F).
Marginal note:Rectification of errors
(a) the correction of any clerical error or error in translation appearing in a certificate of plant breeder’s rights issued under paragraph 27(3)(b), in an application for plant breeder’s rights, in any document filed for the purposes of such an application or in the register or index;
(b) the amendment of any document that belongs to the Plant Breeders’ Rights Office and in respect of which no express provision for its amendment is made in this Act; and
(c) the condonation or correction of any procedural irregularity in any proceedings subject to the authority of the Commissioner.
Marginal note:When rectification permissible
(2) Any power conferred by subsection (1) may, of the Commissioner’s own motion or on request in writing, be exercised if, but only if, that exercise of the power is in the interests of the due administration of this Act and is not prejudicial to the interests of justice.
Marginal note:Opportunities for representations by interested persons
(3) The Commissioner, if intending to exercise any power pursuant to subsection (1), shall give notice of the intention to each person appearing to the Commissioner to have an interest in the matter and shall not carry out the intention without first giving that person a reasonable opportunity to make representations with respect thereto.
- 1990, c. 20, s. 66;
- 2015, c. 2, s. 44(E).
Marginal note:Preservation of documents
67 (1) An application for the grant of plant breeder’s rights and other documents filed with the Commissioner in connection with any such rights shall, subject to subsection (3), be preserved for the prescribed periods.
Marginal note:Public accessibility
(2) The Commissioner shall make the following accessible to the public on the Internet and, if the Commissioner considers it appropriate, by any other means:
Marginal note:Withdrawn application papers to be returned
(3) Where an application for plant breeder’s rights has been withdrawn, the Commissioner shall return to the applicant at the address indicated in the application all the papers and other material submitted in connection with the application but, to any extent to which it is impracticable for the Commissioner to do so, and on the expiration of the prescribed period for so doing, the Commissioner shall destroy the material.
(4) [Repealed, 2015, c. 2, s. 45]
- 1990, c. 20, s. 67;
- 2015, c. 2, s. 45.
Marginal note:Service of notices, etc.
Marginal note:Deemed delivery
(2) Where any notice or other document is sent by registered mail pursuant to subsection (1), it shall, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, be deemed to be given or transmitted at the time at which the registered letter containing it would be delivered in the ordinary course of post.
- 1990, c. 20, s. 68;
- 2015, c. 2, s. 46(F).
Marginal note:Defect not to invalidate notices
69 A defect in a notice given pursuant to this Act, if the notice is such as to intelligibly and substantially effect the required notification, shall not render unlawful any administrative action executed in respect of the matter to which the notice relates and shall not be a ground for exception to any legal proceeding that may be taken in respect of that matter.
Marginal note:Matters to be published
(a) every application that is not rejected pursuant to section 17;
(b) every request included pursuant to subsection 9(1) in an application that is not rejected pursuant to section 17;
(c) and (d) [Repealed, 2015, c. 2, s. 47]
(e) every grant or refusal to grant plant breeder’s rights;
(f) every assignment of plant breeder’s rights of which the Commissioner is informed;
(g) every application for a compulsory licence;
(h) every grant or refusal to grant a compulsory licence and every thing done under subsection 32(4) with respect to a compulsory licence; and
(i) every surrender of plant breeder’s rights.
Marginal note:Notice to Department of Industry
(2) The Commissioner shall, on causing particulars of a request referred to in paragraph (1)(b) to be published, give notice of the request to the Department of Industry.
Marginal note:Matters to be published
- 1990, c. 20, s. 70;
- 1995, c. 1, s. 53;
- 2015, c. 2, s. 47.
- Date modified: