Marginal note:Prohibition during pendency of objection
25 Subject to the regulations, where an objection to an application has been filed under section 22, the Commissioner shall not, before disposal of the objection, carry out in respect of the application any functions of the Commissioner under section 23 or 24.
Marginal note:Abandonment of application
26 (1) An application shall be deemed to have been abandoned on failure of the applicant to prosecute the application, whether in default of compliance with subsection 23(3) or of payment of any fee pursuant to subsection 27(3) or otherwise, within the prescribed period after the taking on the part of the Commissioner, with respect to the application, of any action of which the Commissioner gives notice to the applicant.
Marginal note:Reinstatement of abandoned application
(2) An application deemed abandoned pursuant to subsection (1) may be reinstated
(a) within the prescribed time and on payment of the prescribed fee; or
(b) on petition presented to the Commissioner within the prescribed time subsequent to the time referred to in paragraph (a) and on payment of the prescribed fee if the petitioner satisfies the Commissioner that the failure to prosecute the application was not reasonably avoidable.
- 1990, c. 20, s. 26;
- 2015, c. 2, s. 18(F).
Grant, Refusal and Disposal of Plant Breeder’s Rights
Marginal note:Decision of Commissioner
27 (1) If the Commissioner approves a denomination proposed by an applicant under section 14 and, after consideration of the application in accordance with subsection 23(1) and evaluation of the results of any tests and trials carried out with the plant variety to which the application relates, the Commissioner is satisfied that the plant variety meets the requirements set out in section 4 and that the application otherwise conforms to this Act, the Commissioner shall grant plant breeder’s rights in accordance with subsection (3).
(2) If the Commissioner is not satisfied as described in subsection (1), the Commissioner shall refuse the application.
Marginal note:Request for exemption
(2.1) In the case where the applicant for plant breeder’s rights has requested that those rights be exempted from compulsory licensing under subsection 32(1), the Commissioner may, at the time of the grant of those rights, approve that request if the Commissioner is satisfied with the reasons given by the applicant for that request.
Marginal note:Rights granted by issuance of certificate
(3) The Commissioner shall, on payment of the prescribed fee,
Marginal note:Opportunity for representations before refusal of grant
(4) The Commissioner shall not refuse the application of a person for the grant of plant breeder’s rights without first giving the person notice of the objections to it and of the grounds for those objections as well as a reasonable opportunity to make representations with respect thereto.
Marginal note:Destroyed or lost certificates
(5) If a certificate of plant breeder’s rights issued under paragraph (3)(b) is destroyed or lost, a certified copy may be issued in lieu of that certificate on payment of the prescribed fee.
- 1990, c. 20, s. 27;
- 2015, c. 2, s. 19.
Marginal note:Grant to joint applicants
28 If the Commissioner grants plant breeder’s rights to joint applicants as described in subsection 7(2), the grant shall be in the names of all those joint applicants.
- 1990, c. 20, s. 28;
- 2015, c. 2, s. 20.
29 [Repealed, 2015, c. 2, s. 20]
Maintenance of Propagating Material
Marginal note:Maintenance of propagating material
(a) ensure that he or she is in a position, throughout the period of his or her registration as the holder, to furnish the Commissioner, on request, with propagating material of that variety that is capable of reproducing that variety so that its identifiable characteristics correspond with those taken into account for the purpose of granting those rights; and
(b) provide the Commissioner at the Commissioner’s request with such facilities, free of charge, and with such information as the Commissioner deems necessary in order to be satisfied that the holder is causing the propagating material to be maintained and is otherwise complying with paragraph (a).
(2) Facilities requested under paragraph (1)(b) may include facilities for inspection and the Commissioner has power to undertake the inspection accordingly for the purposes of that paragraph.
- 1990, c. 20, s. 30;
- 2015, c. 2, s. 21.
Assignment of Plant Breeder’s Rights
Marginal note:Assignment of plant breeder’s rights
(a) informed of the name and address of the assignee; and
(b) furnished with such proof of service of a notice of the assignment on any person granted any of those rights by licence under section 32 as is prescribed or as the Commissioner, in the absence or in lieu of anything so prescribed or in addition thereto, requires.
Marginal note:Default precluding registration
(2) An assignee who has not complied with subsection (1) may not be registered as the holder of the plant breeder’s rights.
Marginal note:Unregistered assignment void against subsequent assignee
(3) An assignment of plant breeder’s rights is void against a subsequent assignee thereof for valuable consideration without notice who is registered as the holder of the rights unless, before the subsequent assignee is so registered, the person to whom that assignment is made is registered as holder of the rights.
Marginal note:Grant of compulsory licences
32 (1) Subject to subsections (2) to (6) and the regulations and if the Commissioner considers that it is appropriate to do so, the Commissioner may, on application by any person, authorize the doing of any act described in any of paragraphs 5(1)(a) to (g) by granting the person a compulsory licence.
Marginal note:Objectives on granting compulsory licence
(2) In disposing of an application for, and settling the terms of, a compulsory licence pursuant to this section in relation to any plant variety, the Commissioner shall endeavour to secure that
Marginal note:Provision as regards propagating material
(3) A compulsory licence under this section may include terms requiring the holder of the plant breeder’s rights affected by the licence to make propagating material available to the holder of the compulsory licence.
Marginal note:Variation and revocation of licence
(4) The Commissioner may at any time, on representations made by any interested person, extend, limit, vary or revoke a compulsory licence granted pursuant to this section.
Marginal note:Representations by persons adversely affected
(5) The Commissioner shall not dispose of any application for, or settle the terms of, a compulsory licence pursuant to this section or exercise jurisdiction pursuant to subsection (4) without giving interested persons who will be adversely affected by the Commissioner’s decision a reasonable opportunity to make representations with respect thereto pursuant to such notice as the Commissioner deems it appropriate to give.
Marginal note:Compulsory licence not to be exclusive
(6) No compulsory licence that is an exclusive licence shall be granted pursuant to this section.
- 1990, c. 20, s. 32;
- 2015, c. 2, s. 22.
Marginal note:Concurrent compulsory and other licences permissible
33 (1) A person applying for a compulsory licence may be granted it pursuant to section 32, whether or not that or any other person has a licence, including an exclusive licence granted by the holder, in relation to the plant breeder’s rights that the compulsory licence affects.
Marginal note:No contracting out
(2) An agreement is invalid to the extent that it purports to bind any person not to apply for a compulsory licence or to apply for a grant thereof on any particular terms.
- Date modified: