Marginal note:Financial assistance
6. For the purposes of this Act, the Minister may provide financial assistance in the form of grants and contributions to any person, in accordance with Parts IV and VII of the Official Languages Act.
AGREEMENTS AND ARRANGEMENTS
Marginal note:Contribution agreements
7. (1) The Minister, with the approval of the Governor in Council, may enter into an agreement with any province or territory providing for the payment of contributions in respect of costs that they incur in undertaking programs designed to encourage, promote and develop physical activity or sport.
Marginal note:Agreements to implement Canada’s policy regarding sport
(2) The Minister may enter into an agreement or arrangement with any province or territory respecting the implementation of the Government of Canada’s policy regarding sport.
Marginal note:International agreements
8. The Minister, with the approval of the Governor in Council, may enter into an agreement or arrangement with the government of any foreign state in order to encourage, promote and develop physical activity and sport.
SPORT DISPUTE RESOLUTION CENTRE OF CANADA
Establishment of Centre
Marginal note:Centre established
9. (1) A not-for-profit corporation is hereby established to be called the Sport Dispute Resolution Centre of Canada, in this Act referred to as “the Centre”, which shall include a dispute resolution secretariat and a resource centre.
Marginal note:Not an agent of Her Majesty
(2) The Centre is not an agent of Her Majesty.
Marginal note:Not a departmental or Crown corporation
(3) The Centre is not a departmental corporation or a Crown corporation within the meaning of the Financial Administration Act.
Marginal note:Status of arbitrator or mediator
(4) For the purposes of the Federal Courts Act, the Centre or an arbitrator or mediator who provides services under the auspices of the Centre is not a federal board, commission or other tribunal within the meaning of that Act.
Marginal note:Both official languages to be used
(5) The Centre shall offer its services to, and communicate with, the public in both official languages of Canada.
Marginal note:Head office
(6) The head office of the Centre shall be at the place in Canada that is designated in the by-laws of the Centre.
- 2003, c. 2, ss. 9, 38.
Mission and Powers
10. (1) The mission of the Centre is to provide to the sport community
(a) a national alternative dispute resolution service for sport disputes; and
(b) expertise and assistance regarding alternative dispute resolution.
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), a sport dispute includes disputes among sport organizations and disputes between a sport organization and persons affiliated with it, including its members.
- Date modified: