Marginal note:Unavoidable absence
18. Whenever the Senate is informed of the unavoidable absence of the Speaker thereof by the Clerk at the table, the Senate may choose any senator to preside as Speaker during such absence and that senator thereupon has and shall execute all the powers, privileges and duties of Speaker until the Speaker resumes the chair or another Speaker is appointed by the Governor General.
- R.S., c. S-14, s. 3.
Marginal note:Validity of acts
19. Every act done by any senator acting pursuant to section 17 or 18 has the same effect and validity as if the act had been done by the Speaker.
- R.S., c. S-14, s. 4.
19.1 (1) In this section and sections 19.2 to 19.9, “Committee” means the Standing Senate Committee on Internal Economy, Budgets and Administration established by the Senate under its rules.
Marginal note:Intersessional authority
(2) During a period of prorogation or dissolution of Parliament and until the members of a successor Committee are appointed by the Senate, the Committee continues to exist for the purposes of this Act and, subject to subsection (3), every member of the Committee, while still a senator, remains a member of the Committee as if there had been no prorogation or dissolution.
Marginal note:Composition of Committee
(3) The Leader of the Government in the Senate, or the nominee of the Leader, and the Leader of the Opposition in the Senate, or the nominee of the Leader, may, in accordance with the rules of the Senate, change the membership of the Committee from time to time, including during periods of prorogation or dissolution.
Marginal note:Senate control
(4) In exercising its functions and powers under this Act, the Committee is subject to the rules, direction and control of the Senate.
(5) Where the Chairman of the Committee deems that there is an emergency, the Committee’s Sub-committee on Agenda and Procedure may exercise any power of the Committee under this Act.
Marginal note:Report of decision
(6) The Chairman of the Committee shall report to the Committee any decision made under subsection (5) at the meeting of the Committee immediately following the decision.
- 1991, c. 20, s. 1.
Marginal note:Capacity of Committee
19.2 (1) In exercising the powers and carrying out the functions conferred upon it pursuant to this Act, the Committee has the capacity of a natural person and may
(a) enter into contracts, memoranda of understanding or other arrangements in the name of the Senate or in the name of the Committee; and
(b) do all such things as are necessary or incidental to the exercising of its powers or the carrying out of its functions.
(2) Where a member of the Committee participates in the exercise of the powers or the carrying out of the functions of the Committee, the member shall not be held personally liable for the actions of the Committee.
- 1991, c. 20, s. 1.
- Date modified: