Marginal note:Applications for show cause hearing relating to waste
28.5 (1) This section applies to applications by the Chief Conservation Officer to the Board under section 22 of the Canada Oil and Gas Operations Act for a show cause hearing relating to waste, as defined in paragraph 18(2)(f) or (g) of that Act, in the recovery of oil or gas from a pool.
(2) On receiving an application, the Board shall make an order requiring the operators within the pool to show cause at a hearing, to be held on a day specified in the order, why the Board should not make a direction in respect of the waste.
(3) On the day specified in the order, the Board shall hold a hearing at which the Chief Conservation Officer, the operators and other interested persons shall be given an opportunity to be heard.
(4) If, after the hearing, the Board is of the opinion that waste is occurring in the recovery of oil or gas from a pool, the Board may, by order,
(a) direct the introduction of a scheme for the collection, processing, disposition or reinjection of any gas produced from the pool; or
(b) direct repressurizing, recycling or pressure maintenance for the pool or any part of the pool and for or incidental to that purpose, direct the introduction or injection of gas, water or any other substance into the pool or any part of the pool.
Marginal note:Additional direction
(5) In addition to making a direction under subsection (4), the Board may, by order, direct that the pool or any part of the pool specified in the order be shut in if the requirements of the order are not met or unless a scheme is approved by the Board and in operation by a date fixed in the order.
Marginal note:Continuation pending approval of scheme
(6) Notwithstanding subsections (4) and (5), the Board may, by order, permit the continued operation of a pool or any part of a pool after the date fixed by a direction under this section if, in the opinion of the Board, a scheme or other action described in paragraph (4)(a) or (b) is in the course of preparation, but the continued operation is subject to any conditions imposed by the Board.
- 1994, c. 10, s. 23.
Chief Safety Officer
Marginal note:Review and decision
(2) The Board shall review the need for the order and may confirm it or set it aside.
Marginal note:Burden of proof
(3) The burden of establishing that the order is not needed is on the person who requested that the order be referred to the Board.
- 1994, c. 10, s. 23.
- Date modified: