Marginal note:Special force
16. (1) In an emergency, or if considered desirable in consequence of any action undertaken by Canada under the United Nations Charter or the North Atlantic Treaty, the North American Aerospace Defence Command Agreement or any other similar instrument to which Canada is a party, the Governor in Council may establish and authorize the maintenance of a component of the Canadian Forces, called the special force, consisting of
(a) officers and non-commissioned members of the regular force who are placed in the special force under conditions prescribed in regulations;
(b) officers and non-commissioned members of the reserve force who, being on active service or having applied and been accepted for continuing, full-time military service, are placed in the special force under conditions prescribed in regulations; and
(c) officers and non-commissioned members not of the regular force or the reserve force who are enrolled in the special force for continuing, full-time military service.
Marginal note:Composition of special force
(2) The maximum numbers of officers and non-commissioned members in the special force shall be as authorized by the Governor in Council, and the special force shall include such units and other elements as are embodied therein.
- R.S., 1985, c. N-5, s. 16;
- R.S., 1985, c. 31 (1st Supp.), s. 60;
- 2004, c. 15, s. 75.
Units and Other Elements
17. (1) The Canadian Forces shall consist of such units and other elements as are from time to time organized by or under the authority of the Minister.
(2) A unit or other element organized under subsection (1) shall from time to time be embodied in such component of the Canadian Forces as may be directed by or under the authority of the Minister.
- R.S., c. N-4, s. 17.
Chief of the Defence Staff
Marginal note:Appointment, rank and duties of Chief of Defence Staff
18. (1) The Governor in Council may appoint an officer to be the Chief of the Defence Staff, who shall hold such rank as the Governor in Council may prescribe and who shall, subject to the regulations and under the direction of the Minister, be charged with the control and administration of the Canadian Forces.
Marginal note:Responsibility and channels of communication
(2) Unless the Governor in Council otherwise directs, all orders and instructions to the Canadian Forces that are required to give effect to the decisions and to carry out the directions of the Government of Canada or the Minister shall be issued by or through the Chief of the Defence Staff.
- R.S., c. N-4, s. 18.
Marginal note:Vice Chief of the Defence Staff
18.1 There shall be an officer appointed by the Chief of the Defence Staff to be the Vice Chief of the Defence Staff.
- 1998, c. 35, s. 6.
- Date modified: