Marginal note:Inquiry and report
47. At the request of the Commissioner, made on the advice of the Executive Council and with the agreement of the Governor in Council, the auditor of Nunavut may, if in the auditor’s opinion it does not interfere with the auditor’s primary responsibilities, inquire into and report to the Assembly
(a) on any matter relating to the financial affairs of Nunavut or to public property in Nunavut; or
(b) on any person or organization that has received or is seeking financial aid from the Government of Nunavut.
Marginal note:Powers of auditor
48. (1) The auditor of Nunavut has, in connection with the audit of the accounts of Nunavut, all the powers that the Auditor General of Canada has under the Auditor General Act in connection with the examination of the accounts of Canada.
Marginal note:Access to information
(2) Except as provided by any law made by the Legislature that expressly refers to this subsection, the auditor of Nunavut is entitled to free access at all convenient times to information that relates to the fulfilment of the auditor’s responsibilities and is entitled to require and receive from the public service of Nunavut such information, reports and explanations as the auditor considers necessary for that purpose.
Marginal note:Lands vested in Her Majesty
49. (1) The following lands are and remain vested in Her Majesty in right of Canada:
(a) land acquired with funds of Nunavut;
(b) land in Nunavut acquired with funds of the Northwest Territories before the day on which section 3 comes into force;
(c) public land, the administration and control of which has been transferred by the Governor in Council to the Commissioner of Nunavut;
(d) public land, the administration and control of which has been transferred by the Governor in Council to the Commissioner of the Northwest Territories before the day on which section 3 comes into force;
(e) all roads, streets, lanes and trails on public land;
(f) land acquired pursuant to tax sale proceedings by the Commissioner of Nunavut; and
(g) land in Nunavut acquired pursuant to tax sale proceedings by the Commissioner of the Northwest Territories before the day on which section 3 comes into force.
Marginal note:Beneficial use or proceeds
(2) The right to the beneficial use or to the proceeds of the lands referred to in subsection (1) is appropriated to the Commissioner, and the lands may be held by and in the name of the Commissioner for the beneficial use of the Government of Nunavut.
Marginal note:Management and disposal
(3) Subject to any law made by the Legislature, the Commissioner may manage, and sell, lease or otherwise dispose of, the lands referred to in subsection (1).
(4) The Commissioner may, with the approval of the Governor in Council, relinquish the administration and control of the entire or any lesser interest in any land referred to in subsection (1), either in perpetuity or for any lesser term.
(5) On the approval of the relinquishment, the appropriation under subsection (2), and the Commissioner’s rights and powers under subsections (2) and (3), in respect of the relinquished land or interest are terminated and the land or interest becomes subject to the control of the Governor in Council.
(6) The Governor in Council may transfer the administration of the land or interest to a Minister of the Government of Canada or to an agent corporation within the meaning of the Financial Administration Act.
- Date modified: