Establishment of the Canadian Museum of Civilization
7. (1) There is hereby established a corporation, to be called the Canadian Museum of Civilization.
Marginal note:Affiliated museums
(2) The Canadian Museum of Civilization shall include the Canadian War Museum and such other affiliated museums as the Board of the Canadian Museum of Civilization may, by by-law, establish with the approval of the Governor in Council.
Purpose, Capacity and Powers of the Canadian Museum of Civilization
8. The purpose of the Canadian Museum of Civilization is to increase, throughout Canada and internationally, interest in, knowledge and critical understanding of and appreciation and respect for human cultural achievements and human behavior by establishing, maintaining and developing for research and posterity a collection of objects of historical or cultural interest, with special but not exclusive reference to Canada, and by demonstrating those achievements and behaviour, the knowledge derived from them and the understanding they represent.
Marginal note:Capacity and powers
9. (1) In furtherance of its purpose, the Canadian Museum of Civilization has the capacity and, subject to this Act, the rights, powers and privileges of a natural person and in particular, but without limiting the generality of the foregoing, the Canadian Museum of Civilization may
(a) collect objects of historical or cultural interest and other museum material;
(b) maintain its collection by preservation, conservation and restoration and the establishment of records and documentation;
(c) sell, exchange, give away, destroy or otherwise dispose of objects of historical or cultural interest and other museum material in its collection and use any revenue obtained therefrom to further its collection;
(d) lend or borrow objects of historical or cultural interest and other museum material on long-term or short-term loan;
(e) organize, sponsor, arrange for and participate in travelling exhibitions, in Canada and internationally, of objects of historical or cultural interest and other museum material in its collection and from other sources;
(f) undertake and sponsor any research, including fundamental or basic research and theoretical and applied research, related to its purpose and to museology, and communicate the results of that research;
(g) provide facilities to permit qualified individuals to use and study its collection;
(h) promote knowledge and disseminate information related to its purpose, throughout Canada and internationally, by such means of education and communication as are appropriate;
(i) establish and foster liaison with other organizations with a purpose similar to its purpose;
(j) share the expertise of its staff by undertaking and sponsoring programs for training and apprenticeship in the professional and technical skills involved in the operation of other organizations with a purpose similar to its purpose;
(k) provide and arrange for professional and technical services to other organizations with a purpose similar to its purpose;
(l) acquire property by gift, bequest or otherwise and hold in trust or otherwise, expend, invest, administer and dispose of that property;
(m) develop, operate and maintain branches or exhibition centres;
(n) operate restaurants, lounges, parking facilities, shops and other facilities for the use of the public;
(o) lease or otherwise make available any of its facilities to other persons; and
(p) charge for goods, services and admission and use the revenue obtained therefrom for its own purposes.
(2) The Canadian Museum of Civilization may not deal with property otherwise than in accordance with the terms, if any, on which it was acquired or is held.
- Date modified: