Marginal note:Agreement between Tlicho Government and another aboriginal people
5.1 The rights of the Tlicho First Nation, Tlicho citizens and the Tlicho Government under this Act are subject to the provisions of any agreement entered into between the Tlicho Government and an aboriginal people, other than the Tlicho First Nation, under 2.7.3 of chapter 2 of the Tlicho Agreement.
- 2005, c. 1, s. 17.
APPLICATION AND CONSULTATION
6. Except where otherwise provided, this Act applies in the Mackenzie Valley.
Marginal note:Application to Her Majesty
7. This Act is binding on Her Majesty in right of Canada or a province.
8. (1) The federal Minister shall consult the first nations and the Tlicho Government with respect to the amendment of this Act.
Marginal note:Review of Act
(2) The federal Minister shall, in the course of any negotiations with a first nation relating to self-government, review the pertinent provisions of this Act in consultation with that first nation.
- 1998, c. 25, s. 8;
- 2005, c. 1, s. 18.
GENERAL PROVISIONS RESPECTING BOARDS
Establishment and Organization
Marginal note:Definition of “board”
9. In this Part, “board” means any board established by this Act.
9.1 The purpose of the establishment of boards by this Act is to enable residents of the Mackenzie Valley to participate in the management of its resources for the benefit of the residents and of other Canadians.
10. A board has, for the purposes of its functions, the capacity, rights, powers and privileges of a natural person.
Marginal note:Appointment of members by federal Minister
11. (1) The members of a board — other than the chairperson, any members appointed pursuant to a determination under section 15 and any members appointed by the Tlicho Government under subsection 57.1(2) or in accordance with an agreement referred to in that subsection — shall be appointed by the federal Minister in accordance with Parts 2 to 5.
Marginal note:Alternate members
(2) Except in the case of the Wekeezhii Land and Water Board, the federal Minister may appoint
(a) alternate members selected from persons nominated for that purpose by a first nation, or selected following consultation with first nations, to act in the event of the absence or incapacity of members appointed on such nomination or following such consultation, respectively; and
(b) alternate members agreed to by the territorial Minister to act in the event of the absence or incapacity of members other than members referred to in paragraph (a).
- 1998, c. 25, s. 11;
- 2005, c. 1, s. 19.
- Date modified: