Marginal note:Public register
72. (1) A board shall maintain at its main office, in such form as is prescribed by the regulations, a register convenient for use by the public in which shall be entered, for each application received and each permit issued, the information prescribed by the regulations.
Marginal note:Register to be open to inspection
(2) The register shall be open to inspection by any person during normal business hours of the board, subject to the payment of any fee prescribed by the regulations.
Marginal note:Copies of contents of register
(3) A board shall, on request and on payment of the fee prescribed by the regulations, make available copies of information contained in the register.
Aboriginal Water Rights
Marginal note:Wildlife harvesting and traditional use
73. (1) Notwithstanding sections 8 and 9 of the Northwest Territories Waters Act, the Gwich’in First Nation and the Sahtu First Nation have the right to use waters or to deposit waste without a licence for purposes of trapping and non-commercial wildlife harvesting other than trapping, for purposes of transportation related to those activities and for traditional heritage, cultural and spiritual purposes.
Marginal note:Wildlife harvesting and traditional use — Tlicho citizens
(2) Despite sections 8 and 9 of the Northwest Territories Waters Act — and subject to any applicable Tlicho laws and, in relation to waters that are on settlement lands, any limitations under the applicable land claim agreement that are of the same type as those that apply in relation to waters on Tlicho lands — Tlicho citizens have the right to use water in the part of Monfwi Gogha De Niitlee that is in the Northwest Territories without a licence, for purposes of wildlife harvesting under 10.1.1 of chapter 10 of the Tlicho Agreement, for purposes of transportation related to such wildlife harvesting and for heritage, cultural or spiritual purposes of the Tlicho First Nation.
- 1998, c. 25, s. 73;
- 2005, c. 1, s. 39.
Marginal note:Exclusive right
74. Notwithstanding section 4 of the Northwest Territories Waters Act, the Gwich’in First Nation and the Sahtu First Nation have the exclusive right to the use of waters when on or flowing through their first nation lands and to the deposit of waste in relation to those waters in accordance with the other provisions of this Part and that Act.
Marginal note:Right to unaltered waters
75. Subject to sections 76 to 78, the Gwich’in First Nation and the Sahtu First Nation have, in relation to waters when on or flowing through their first nation lands or waters adjacent to their first nation lands, the right to have the quality, quantity and rate of flow remain substantially unaltered by any person.
- Date modified: