Canada Labour Code
Marginal note:Notice of group termination
212. (1) Any employer who terminates, either simultaneously or within any period not exceeding four weeks, the employment of a group of fifty or more employees employed by the employer within a particular industrial establishment, or of such lesser number of employees as prescribed by regulations applicable to the employer made under paragraph 227(b), shall, in addition to any notice required to be given under section 230, give notice to the Minister, in writing, of his intention to so terminate at least sixteen weeks before the date of termination of the employment of the employee in the group whose employment is first to be terminated.
Marginal note:Copies of notice
(2) A copy of any notice given to the Minister under subsection (1) shall be given immediately by the employer to the Minister of Human Resources Development and the Canada Employment Insurance Commission and any trade union representing a redundant employee, and where any redundant employee is not represented by a trade union, a copy of that notice shall be given to the employee or immediately posted by the employer in a conspicuous place within the industrial establishment in which that employee is employed.
Marginal note:Contents of notice
(3) A notice referred to in subsection (1) shall set out
(a) the date or dates on which the employer intends to terminate the employment of any one or more employees;
(b) the estimated number of employees in each occupational classification whose employment will be terminated; and
(c) such other information as is prescribed by the regulations.
Marginal note:Where employer deemed to terminate employment
(4) Except where otherwise prescribed by regulation, an employer shall, for the purposes of this Division, be deemed to have terminated the employment of an employee where the employer lays off that employee.
- R.S., 1985, c. L-2, s. 212;
- 1996, c. 11, s. 67.
- Date modified: