Marginal note:Committees or representatives for certain work places
137. Notwithstanding sections 135 and 136, if an employer controls more than one work place referred to in section 135 or 136 or the size or nature of the operations of the employer or those of the work place precludes the effective functioning of a single work place committee or health and safety representative, as the case may be, for those work places, the employer shall, subject to the approval or in accordance with the direction of a health and safety officer, establish or appoint in accordance with section 135 or 136, as the case may require, a work place committee or health and safety representative for the work places that are specified in the approval or direction.
- R.S., 1985, c. L-2, s. 137;
- R.S., 1985, c. 9 (1st Supp.), s. 4;
- 2000, c. 20, s. 10.
Coal Mining Safety Commission
Marginal note:Establishment of Commission
137.1 (1) There is hereby established a Coal Mining Safety Commission, in this section referred to as the “Commission” consisting of, subject to subsection (2.1), not more than five members to be appointed by the Minister to hold office during pleasure.
Marginal note:Members of Commission
(2) One member of the Commission shall be designated chairperson of the Commission by the Minister and the others shall be equally representative of the non-supervisory employees employed in coal mines and of the employers of those employees.
Marginal note:Alternate chairperson
(2.1) The Minister may appoint, by order, and under the terms and conditions specified in the order, any person as an alternate chairperson to act in the absence or incapacity of the chairperson. An alternate chairperson, while acting as chairperson, has all of the powers, duties and immunity of the chairperson.
Marginal note:Selection and tenure
(3) The manner of selection of the members of the Commission, other than the chairperson and an alternate chairperson, and the term of office of the members of the Commission shall be such as may be prescribed.
(4) A quorum of the Commission consists of the chairperson or alternate chairperson, one member representative of non-supervisory employees and one member representative of employers.
Marginal note:Health and safety officers ineligible
(5) No health and safety officer is eligible to be appointed to the Commission or as alternate chairperson under subsection (2.1), or to be designated for the purposes of subsection 137.2(1) or (2).
(6) The members of the Commission, including an alternate chairperson, shall be paid the remuneration that may be fixed by the Governor in Council and, subject to the approval of the Treasury Board, any reasonable travel and living expenses that are incurred by them while performing their functions away from their ordinary place of residence.
(7) The Commission may, subject to the approval of the Minister, make by-laws for the conduct of its activities.
Marginal note:Staff and other assistance
(8) The Minister may, at the request of the Commission, make available to the Commission such staff and other assistance as are necessary for the proper conduct of its activities.
Marginal note:Annual report
(9) The Commission shall, within sixty days following the end of each calendar year, submit a report to the Minister of its activities during the year.
(10) No member of the Commission and no person designated by the Commission pursuant to subsection 137.2(1) or (2) is personally liable for anything done or omitted to be done in good faith under section 137.2.
- R.S., 1985, c. 26 (4th Supp.), s. 3;
- 1998, c. 26, s. 59(E);
- 2000, c. 20, s. 11.
- Date modified: