3. and 4. [Repealed, 1991, c. 38, s. 13]
PURPOSE OF ACT
Marginal note:Purpose of Act
5. The purpose of this Act is to ensure
(a) the availability of feed grain to meet the needs of livestock feeders;
(b) the availability of adequate storage space in Eastern Canada for feed grain to meet the needs of livestock feeders;
(c) reasonable stability in the price of feed grain in Eastern Canada, British Columbia, Yukon, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut; and
(d) fair equalization of feed grain prices in Eastern Canada, British Columbia, Yukon, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
- R.S., 1985, c. L-10, s. 5;
- 1991, c. 38, s. 15;
- 1993, c. 28, s. 78;
- 2002, c. 7, s. 202(E).
POWERS AND DUTIES OF MINISTER
6. The Minister may
(i) payments related to the cost of feed grain storage in Eastern Canada, and
(ii) payments related to the cost of feed grain transportation,
to or for the benefit of livestock feeders in accordance with the regulations;
(b) conduct negotiations with any agency or person involved in feed grain storage or handling for the purpose of reducing or stabilizing the cost of storage and handling and for the purpose of obtaining adequate storage space for feed grain in Eastern Canada;
(c) allocate space reserved for the Minister’s use in any storage facility among persons requiring feed grain storage facilities in Eastern Canada;
(d) conduct negotiations for the obtaining of licences for the importation of feed grain into Canada for use outside the designated area and, within the provisions of any such licence obtained in the Minister’s name, contract with feed grain dealers in Canada for the importation of feed grain by them into Canada under the terms of that licence;
(e) by order served personally or by registered mail, require any person engaged in the business of storing, handling or shipping feed grain in Eastern Canada, British Columbia, Yukon, the Northwest Territories or Nunavut, or any livestock feeder, to furnish in writing to the Minister within any reasonable time that may be stipulated in the order, information relating to feed grain consumption, storage, handling, shipping or pricing in Eastern Canada, British Columbia, Yukon, the Northwest Territories or Nunavut; and
(f) generally, do and authorize such acts and things as are necessary or incidental to the attainment of the purpose of this Act.
(g) to (k) [Repealed, 1991, c. 38, s. 17]
- R.S., 1985, c. L-10, s. 6;
- 1991, c. 38, ss. 17, 24(E);
- 1993, c. 28, s. 78;
- 1998, c. 15, s. 33;
- 2002, c. 7, s. 203(E).
Marginal note:Power to purchase and sell feed grain
7. (1) The Minister, when authorized by the Governor in Council, may
(a) buy or enter into contracts or agreements for the purchase of feed grain;
(b) within the provisions of any licence obtained in the Minister’s name authorizing the Minister to import feed grain, buy or enter into contracts or agreements for the purchase of feed grain outside Canada and import that feed grain into Canada; and
(c) take delivery of, ship, store, handle and, subject to subsection (2), sell or otherwise dispose of feed grain in Eastern Canada or British Columbia and enter into contracts for the delivery, shipping, storage, handling, insurance and sale or other disposition of that feed grain.
(1.1) On the advice of the Minister that an emergency requiring action under subsection (1) exists, the Governor in Council may authorize the Minister to act under that subsection and may specify terms and conditions in connection therewith.
Marginal note:Rules concerning sale
(2) The Minister shall sell or otherwise dispose of feed grain acquired by the Minister pursuant to subsection (1) in accordance with sound commercial practices for such price as the Minister considers reasonable with the object of recovering the costs incurred by the Minister in respect of the feed grain, including the purchase price of the feed grain, costs of handling, storage and transportation thereof and any administration costs applicable to the purchase and sale thereof minus any payments related to the cost of feed grain storage or to the cost of feed grain transportation paid by the Minister to the Minister’s own account pursuant to paragraph 6(a) in respect of the feed grain.
- R.S., 1985, c. L-10, s. 7;
- 1991, c. 38, ss. 18, 24;
- 2011, c. 25, s. 36.
- Date modified: