R.S.C., 1985, c. I-21
An Act respecting the interpretation of statutes and regulations
Marginal note:Short title
- R.S., c. I-23, s. 1.
2. (1) In this Act,
« loi »
“Act” means an Act of Parliament;
“enact”Version anglaise seulement
“enact” includes to issue, make or establish;
« texte »
“enactment” means an Act or regulation or any portion of an Act or regulation;
« fonctionnaire public »
“public officer” includes any person in the federal public administration who is authorized by or under an enactment to do or enforce the doing of an act or thing or to exercise a power, or on whom a duty is imposed by or under an enactment;
« règlement »
“regulation” includes an order, regulation, rule, rule of court, form, tariff of costs or fees, letters patent, commission, warrant, proclamation, by-law, resolution or other instrument issued, made or established
(a) in the execution of a power conferred by or under the authority of an Act, or
(b) by or under the authority of the Governor in Council;
“repeal”Version anglaise seulement
“repeal” includes revoke or cancel.
Marginal note:Expired and replaced enactments
(2) For the purposes of this Act, an enactment that has been replaced is repealed and an enactment that has expired, lapsed or otherwise ceased to have effect is deemed to have been repealed.
- R.S., 1985, c. I-21, s. 2;
- 1993, c. 34, s. 88;
- 1999, c. 31, s. 146;
- 2003, c. 22, s. 224(E).
3. (1) Every provision of this Act applies, unless a contrary intention appears, to every enactment, whether enacted before or after the commencement of this Act.
Marginal note:Application to this Act
(2) The provisions of this Act apply to the interpretation of this Act.
Marginal note:Rules of construction not excluded
(3) Nothing in this Act excludes the application to an enactment of a rule of construction applicable to that enactment and not inconsistent with this Act.
- R.S., c. I-23, s. 3.
- Date modified: