Marginal note:Binding on Her Majesty
5. This Act is binding on Her Majesty in right of Canada or a province.
Marginal note:Inconsistent laws
6. (1) Subject to subsection (2), a provision of this Act or of the regulations, or a provision of the Convention or Aircraft Protocol given force of law by section 4, that is inconsistent with any other law prevails over the other law to the extent of the inconsistency.
(2) A provision referred to in any of the following paragraphs (a) to (f) that is inconsistent with a provision of this Act or of the regulations, or with a provision of the Convention or Aircraft Protocol given force of law by section 4, prevails over the provision of this Act, the regulations, the Convention or the Aircraft Protocol to the extent of the inconsistency:
(a) a provision of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act;
(b) a provision of Part II.1 or XII.2 or any of sections 487 to 490.01 and 490.1 to 490.9 of the Criminal Code;
(c) a provision of the Export and Import Permits Act;
(d) a provision of the Special Economic Measures Act;
(e) a provision of the United Nations Act;
(f) a provision of any regulations made for the purposes of a provision referred to in any of paragraphs (a) to (e).
- 2005, c. 3, s. 6;
- 2012, c. 31, s. 412.
7. The superior courts of the provinces are courts of competent jurisdiction for the purpose of the enforcement of the provisions of this Act, including provisions given force of law by section 4.
REQUESTS FOR DECLARATIONS
Marginal note:Ministerial requests
8. (1) Requests from ministers of the Crown in right of Canada for declarations must be directed to the Minister of Foreign Affairs.
Marginal note:Provincial requests
(2) The Minister of Justice must forward to the Minister of Foreign Affairs requests received from the provinces for declarations.
9. The Governor in Council may make any regulations that are necessary for carrying out any of the provisions of this Act, including the provisions given force of law by section 4.
Marginal note:Article XI of Aircraft Protocol
9.1 Article XI of the Aircraft Protocol does not apply to an insolvency-related event that occurs before the day on which subsection 4(1) comes into force.
- 2012, c. 31, s. 413.
- Date modified: