Marginal note:Attendance at meeting
164.05 (1) A person who solicits a proxy and is appointed proxyholder shall attend in person or cause an alternate proxyholder to attend every meeting in respect of which the proxy is valid, and the proxyholder or alternate proxyholder shall comply with the directions of the shareholder or policyholder who executed the form of proxy.
Marginal note:Rights of proxyholder
(2) A proxyholder or an alternate proxyholder has the same rights as the appointing shareholder or policyholder to speak at a meeting of shareholders or policyholders in respect of any matter, to vote by way of ballot at the meeting and, except where a proxyholder or an alternate proxyholder has conflicting instructions from more than one shareholder or policyholder, to vote at the meeting in respect of any matter by way of a show of hands.
Marginal note:Vote by show of hands
(3) Despite subsections (1) and (2) and unless a shareholder, policyholder or proxyholder demands a ballot, if the chairperson of a meeting of shareholders or policyholders declares to the meeting that, if a ballot were conducted, the total number of votes represented at the meeting by proxy required to be voted against what, to the knowledge of the chairperson, would be the decision of the meeting on a matter or group of matters is less than 5% of all the votes that might be cast by shareholders or policyholders, in person or by proxy,
(a) the chairperson may conduct the vote in respect of that matter or group of matters by way of a show of hands; and
(b) a proxyholder or alternate proxyholder may vote in respect of that matter or group of matters by way of a show of hands.
- 1997, c. 15, s. 197;
- 2005, c. 54, s. 242.
Marginal note:Duty of intermediary
164.06 (1) Shares of a company that are registered in the name of an intermediary or an intermediary’s nominee and not beneficially owned by the intermediary may not be voted unless the intermediary sends to the beneficial owner
(a) a copy of the notice of the meeting, annual statement, management proxy circular and dissident’s proxy circular and any other documents, other than the form of proxy, that were sent to shareholders by or on behalf of any person for use in connection with the meeting; and
(b) a written request for voting instructions except if the intermediary has already received written voting instructions from the beneficial owner.
Marginal note:When documents to be sent
(2) The intermediary shall send the documents referred to in subsection (1) without delay after they receive the documents referred to in paragraph (1)(a).
Marginal note:Restriction on voting
(3) An intermediary or a proxyholder appointed by them may not vote shares that the intermediary does not beneficially own and that are registered in the name of the intermediary or their nominee unless the intermediary or proxyholder, as the case may be, receives written voting instructions from the beneficial owner.
(4) A person by or on behalf of whom a solicitation is made shall on request and without delay provide the intermediary, at the person’s expense, with the necessary number of copies of the documents referred to in paragraph (1)(a).
Marginal note:Instructions to intermediary
(5) The intermediary shall vote or appoint a proxyholder to vote in accordance with any written voting instructions received from the beneficial owner.
Marginal note:Beneficial owner as proxyholder
(6) If a beneficial owner so requests and provides an intermediary with appropriate documentation, the intermediary shall appoint the beneficial owner or a nominee of the beneficial owner as proxyholder.
Marginal note:Effect of intermediary’s failure to comply
(7) The failure of an intermediary to comply with any of subsections (1) to (6) does not render void any meeting of shareholders or policyholders or any action taken at the meeting.
Marginal note:Intermediary may not vote
(8) Nothing in this Division gives an intermediary the right to vote shares that they are otherwise prohibited from voting.
- 1997, c. 15, s. 197;
- 2005, c. 54, s. 243.
- Date modified: