Marginal note:Powers of court
913. (1) In connection with an action brought or intervened in under subsection 912(1), the court may at any time make any order it thinks fit including, without limiting the generality of the foregoing,
(a) an order authorizing the Superintendent, the complainant or any other person to control the conduct of the action;
(b) an order giving directions for the conduct of the action;
(c) an order directing that any amount adjudged payable by a defendant in the action be paid, in whole or in part, directly to former and present security holders of the insurance holding company who are entitled to participate in its profits or of the subsidiary instead of to the insurance holding company or to the subsidiary; and
(d) an order requiring the insurance holding company or the subsidiary to pay reasonable legal fees incurred by the Superintendent or the complainant in connection with the action.
(2) Despite subsection (1), the court may not make any order in relation to any matter that would, under this Part, require the approval of the Minister or the Superintendent.
- 2001, c. 9, s. 465.
Marginal note:Status of shareholder approval
914. (1) An application made or an action brought or intervened in under this Subdivision need not be stayed or dismissed by reason only that it is shown that an alleged breach of a right or duty owed to the insurance holding company or its subsidiary has been or might be approved by the shareholders of the insurance holding company or subsidiary or both, but evidence of approval by the shareholders may be taken into account by the court in making an order under section 913.
Marginal note:Court approval to discontinue
(2) An application made or an action brought or intervened in under this Subdivision shall not be stayed, discontinued, settled or dismissed for want of prosecution without the approval of the court given on such terms as the court thinks fit and, if the court determines that the interests of any complainant might be substantially affected by any stay, discontinuance, settlement or dismissal, the court may order any party to the application or action to give notice to the complainant.
- 2001, c. 9, s. 465.
Marginal note:No security for costs
915. (1) A complainant is not required to give security for costs in any application made or any action brought or intervened in under subsection 912(1) or section 916.
Marginal note:Interim costs
(2) In an application made or an action brought or intervened in under this Subdivision, the court may at any time order the insurance holding company or its subsidiary to pay to the complainant interim costs, including legal fees and disbursements, but the complainant may be held accountable by the court for those interim costs on final disposition of the application or action.
- 2001, c. 9, s. 465;
- 2005, c. 54, s. 358(F).
- Date modified: