Marginal note:Notice of adjourned meeting
768. (1) If a meeting of shareholders is adjourned for less than thirty days, it is not necessary, unless the by-laws otherwise provide, to give notice of the adjourned meeting, other than by announcement at the earliest meeting that is adjourned.
Marginal note:Notice after longer adjournment
(2) If a meeting of shareholders is adjourned by one or more adjournments for a total of thirty days or more, notice of the continuation of the meeting shall be given as for an original meeting but, unless the meeting is adjourned by one or more adjournments for a total of more than ninety days, subsection 788(1) does not apply.
- 2001, c. 9, s. 465.
Marginal note:Special business
769. (1) All matters dealt with at a special meeting of shareholders or at an annual meeting of shareholders are deemed to be special business, except that special business does not include consideration of
(a) the financial statements;
(b) the auditor’s report;
(c) the election of directors; or
(d) the remuneration of directors and reappointment of the incumbent auditor.
Marginal note:Notice of special business
(2) Notice of a meeting of shareholders at which special business is to be transacted must
(a) state the nature of the special business in sufficient detail to permit a shareholder to form a reasoned judgment thereon; and
(b) contain the text of any special resolution to be submitted to the meeting.
- 2001, c. 9, s. 465.
770. (1) Subject to subsections (1.1) and (1.2), a registered holder or a beneficial owner of shares that may be voted at an annual meeting of shareholders may
(a) submit to the insurance holding company notice of any matter that they propose to raise at the meeting (in this section and section 771 referred to as a “proposal”); and
(b) discuss at the meeting any matter in respect of which they would have been entitled to submit a proposal.
Marginal note:Eligibility to submit proposal
(1.1) To be eligible to submit a proposal a person shall
(a) for at least the prescribed period be the registered holder or beneficial owner of at least the prescribed number of the insurance holding company’s outstanding shares; or
(b) have the support of persons who, in the aggregate and including or not including the person who submits the proposal, have for at least the prescribed period been the registered holders or beneficial owners of at least the prescribed number of the insurance holding company’s outstanding shares.
Marginal note:Information to be provided
(1.2) A proposal is to be accompanied by the following information:
(a) the name and address of the person submitting the proposal and the names and addresses of their supporters, if any; and
(b) the number of shares held or owned by the person and their supporters and the date that the shares were acquired.
Marginal note:Information not part of proposal
(1.3) The information provided under subsection (1.2) does not form part of a proposal or of the supporting statement referred to in subsection (3) and is not to be included for the purposes of the prescribed maximum number of words referred to in subsection (3).
Marginal note:Proof may be required
(1.4) If the insurance holding company requests within the prescribed period that a person provide proof that they are eligible to submit a proposal, the person shall within the prescribed period provide proof that they meet the requirements of subsection (1.1).
Marginal note:Circulation of proposal
(2) An insurance holding company shall attach any proposal of a shareholder submitted for consideration at a meeting of shareholders to the notice of the meeting.
Marginal note:Supporting statement
(3) At the request of the person who submits a proposal, the insurance holding company shall attach to the notice of the meeting the person’s statement in support of the proposal and their name and address. The statement and proposal together are not to exceed the prescribed maximum number of words.
Marginal note:Nomination of directors
(4) A proposal may include nominations for the election of directors if it is signed by one or more registered holders or beneficial owners of shares representing in the aggregate not less than 5% of the shares of the insurance holding company or 5% of the shares of a class of its shares entitled to vote at the meeting at which the proposal is to be presented.
(5) An insurance holding company is not required to comply with subsections (2) and (3) if
(a) the proposal is not submitted to the insurance holding company at least the prescribed number of days before the anniversary date of the notice of meeting that was sent to shareholders in respect of the previous annual meeting of shareholders;
(b) it clearly appears that the primary purpose of the proposal is to enforce a personal claim or redress a personal grievance against the insurance holding company or its directors, officers or security holders;
(b.1) it clearly appears that the proposal does not relate in a significant way to the business or affairs of the insurance holding company;
(c) the person submitting the proposal failed within the prescribed period before the insurance holding company receives their proposal to present, in person or by proxy, at a meeting of shareholders a proposal that at their request had been attached to the notice of the meeting;
(d) substantially the same proposal was set out in or attached to a dissident’s proxy circular or a notice of a meeting relating to, and presented to shareholders at, a meeting of shareholders held within the prescribed period before the receipt of the proposal and did not receive the prescribed minimum amount of support at the meeting; or
(e) the rights conferred by subsections (1) to (4) are being abused to secure publicity.
Marginal note:Insurance holding company may refuse to include proposal
(5.1) If a person who submits a proposal fails to continue to hold or own shares in accordance with paragraph (1.1)(a) or, as the case may be, does not continue to have the support of persons who are in the aggregate the registered holders or beneficial owners of the prescribed number of shares in accordance with paragraph (1.1)(b) until the end of the meeting, the insurance holding company is not required to attach any proposal submitted by that person to a notice of a meeting for any meeting held within the prescribed period after the day of the meeting.
Marginal note:Immunity for proposal and statement
(6) No insurance holding company or person acting on behalf of an insurance holding company incurs any liability by reason only of circulating a proposal or statement in compliance with subsections (2) and (3).
- 2001, c. 9, s. 465;
- 2005, c. 54, s. 315.
- Date modified: