Marginal note:Application for approval
419. (1) An application for an approval of the Minister required under this Part must be filed with the Superintendent and contain the information, material and evidence that the Superintendent may require.
(2) If, with respect to any particular transaction, this Part applies to more than one person, any one of those persons may make the application to the Minister for approval on behalf of all of those persons.
- 1991, c. 47, s. 419;
- 2001, c. 9, s. 411.
Marginal note:Matters for consideration
420. (1) Subject to subsection (1.1), if an application for an approval under section 407 is made, the Minister, in determining whether or not to approve the transaction, shall take into account all matters that the Minister considers relevant to the application, including
(a) the nature and sufficiency of the financial resources of the applicant or applicants as a source of continuing financial support for the company;
(b) the soundness and feasibility of the plans of the applicant or applicants for the future conduct and development of the business of the company;
(c) the business record and experience of the applicant or applicants;
(d) the character and integrity of the applicant or applicants or, if the applicant or any of the applicants is a body corporate, its reputation for being operated in a manner that is consistent with the standards of good character and integrity;
(e) whether the company will be operated responsibly by persons with the competence and experience suitable for involvement in the operation of a financial institution;
(f) if the company is a converted company in respect of which the Minister has issued an order under subsection 407(8) or a converted company in respect of which subsection 407(11) applied at any time, or a company that controls, within the meaning of paragraph 3(1)(d), such a converted company, the opinion of the Superintendent regarding the extent to which the corporate structure of the applicant or applicants and their affiliates may affect the supervision and regulation of the company, having regard to
(i) the nature and extent of the proposed financial services activities to be carried out by the company and its affiliates, and
(ii) the nature and degree of supervision and regulation applying to the proposed financial services activities to be carried out by the affiliates of the company;
(g) the impact of any integration of the businesses and operations of the applicant or applicants with those of the company on the conduct of those businesses and operations; and
(h) the best interests of the financial system in Canada.
(1.1) Except for an application by an eligible agent for an approval under section 407, and subject to subsection 407.2(1), the Minister shall take into account only paragraph (1)(d) if the application is in respect of a transaction that would result in the applicant or applicants holding
(a) more than 10 per cent but no more than 20 per cent of any class of the outstanding voting shares of a converted company in respect of which subsection 407(4) applies or of a company to which subsection 407(5) applies; or
(b) more than 10 per cent but no more than 30 per cent of any class of the outstanding non-voting shares of such a converted company or company.
Marginal note:National treatment
(2) Where a transaction in respect of which subsection 407(1) or (2) applies would cause a company to become a subsidiary of a foreign institution that is engaged in the insurance business, that does not have any other company as its subsidiary and that is a non-WTO Member foreign institution, the Minister shall not approve the transaction unless the Minister is satisfied that treatment as favourable for companies to which this Act applies exists or will be provided in the jurisdiction in which the foreign institution principally carries on business, either directly or through a subsidiary.
Marginal note:Part XII of the Bank Act
(3) Nothing in subsection (1) or (2) affects the operation of Part XII of the Bank Act.
- 1991, c. 47, s. 420;
- 1999, c. 28, s. 121;
- 2001, c. 9, s. 412;
- 2012, c. 31, s. 135.
- Date modified: