Marginal note:Right to attend meetings
343. (1) The auditor of a company is entitled to receive notice of every meeting of shareholders or policyholders and, at the expense of the company, to attend and be heard at those meetings on matters relating to the duties of the auditor.
Marginal note:Duty to attend meeting
(2) If a director, a shareholder of a company, whether or not the shareholder is entitled to vote at the meeting, or a policyholder who is entitled to vote at the meeting gives written notice, not less than ten days before a meeting of shareholders or policyholders, to an auditor or former auditor of the company that the director, shareholder or policyholder wishes the auditor’s attendance at the meeting, the auditor or former auditor shall attend the meeting at the expense of the company and answer questions relating to the auditor’s or former auditor’s duties as auditor.
Marginal note:Notice to company
(3) A director, shareholder or policyholder who gives notice under subsection (2) shall send concurrently a copy of the notice to the company and the company shall forthwith send a copy thereof to the Superintendent.
Marginal note:Superintendent may attend
(4) The Superintendent may attend and be heard at any meeting referred to in subsection (2).
Marginal note:Statement of auditor
344. (1) An auditor of a company who
(b) receives a notice or otherwise learns of a meeting of shareholders and policyholders called for the purpose of revoking the appointment of the auditor, or
(c) receives a notice or otherwise learns of a meeting of directors or shareholders and policyholders at which another person is to be appointed in the auditor’s stead, whether because of the auditor’s resignation or revocation of appointment or because the auditor’s term of office has expired or is about to expire,
shall submit to the company and the Superintendent a written statement giving the reasons for the resignation or the reasons why the auditor opposes any proposed action.
Marginal note:Other statements
(1.1) In the case of a proposed replacement of an auditor whether because of removal or the expiry of their term, the company shall make a statement of the reasons for the proposed replacement and the proposed replacement auditor may make a statement in which they comment on those reasons.
Marginal note:Statements to be sent
(2) The company shall send a copy of the statements referred to in subsections (1) and (1.1) without delay to every shareholder entitled to vote at the annual meeting of shareholders and policyholders, to every policyholder entitled under paragraph 143(1)(b) to receive notice of an annual meeting of shareholders and policyholders and to the Superintendent.
- 1991, c. 47, s. 344;
- 2005, c. 54, s. 288.
- Date modified: