Marginal note:Disposition of samples
49. A sample taken under this Act or the regulations may be disposed of in such manner as the Minister considers appropriate.
LIMITATION ON LIABILITY
Marginal note:Her Majesty not liable
50. Where a person must, by or under this Act or the regulations, do anything, including provide and maintain any area, office, laboratory or other facility under section 31, or permit an inspector or officer to do anything, Her Majesty is not liable
(a) for any costs, loss or damage resulting from the compliance; or
(b) to pay any fee, rent or other charge for what is done, provided, maintained or permitted.
Marginal note:Compensation to owners of animals
51. (1) The Minister may order compensation to be paid from the Consolidated Revenue Fund to the owner of an animal that is
(a) destroyed under this Act or is required by an inspector or officer to be destroyed under this Act and dies after the requirement is imposed but before being destroyed;
(b) injured in the course of being tested, treated or identified under this Act by an inspector or officer and dies, or is required to be destroyed, as a result of the injury; or
(c) reserved for experimentation under paragraph 13(2)(a).
Marginal note:Amount of compensation
(2) Subject to subsections (3) and (4), the amount of compensation shall be
(a) the market value, as determined by the Minister, that the animal would have had at the time of its evaluation by the Minister if it had not been required to be destroyed
(b) the value of its carcass, as determined by the Minister.
Marginal note:Maximum value
(3) The value mentioned in paragraph (2)(a) shall not exceed any maximum amount established with respect to the animal by or under the regulations.
Marginal note:Additional compensation
(4) In addition to the amount calculated under subsection (2), compensation may include such costs related to the disposal of the animal as are permitted by the regulations.
- 1990, c. 21, s. 51;
- 1997, c. 6, s. 69.
Marginal note:Compensation to owners of things
52. The Minister may order compensation to be paid from the Consolidated Revenue Fund to the owner of a thing that is destroyed under this Act and the amount of compensation shall be the market value, as determined by the Minister, that the thing would have had at the time of its evaluation if it had not been required to be destroyed, up to a prescribed amount, less any amount received in respect of it.
- 1990, c. 21, s. 52;
- 1997, c. 6, s. 70.
- Date modified: