Fisheries Development Act
R.S.C., 1985, c. F-21
An Act to provide for the development of the commercial fisheries of Canada
Marginal note:Short title
- R.S., c. F-21, s. 1.
2. In this Act,
« produits de la pêche »
“fishery products” includes any fishery resources and any products derived from fishery resources;
« ressources de la pêche »
“fishery resources” includes fish, molluscs, crustaceans, marine mammals and marine plants;
« ministre »
“Minister” means the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans.
- R.S., c. F-21, s. 2;
- R.S., c. 14(2nd Supp.), s. 30;
- 1978-79, c. 13, s. 33.
FISHERIES DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS
Marginal note:Minister may undertake projects
3. (1) The Minister may undertake projects
(a) for the more efficient exploitation of fishery resources and for the exploration for and development of new fishery resources and new fisheries;
(b) for the introduction and demonstration to fishermen of new types of fishing vessels and fishing equipment and of new fishing techniques; and
(c) for the development of new fishery products and for the improvement of the handling, processing and distribution of fishery products.
Marginal note:Projects with a province
(2) The Minister may enter into an agreement with any province providing for the undertaking jointly with the government of the province or any agency thereof of any project that the Minister is authorized to undertake under subsection (1).
Marginal note:Payments to a province
(3) The Minister may, with the approval of the Governor in Council, enter into an agreement with any province providing for the payment to the province of contributions in respect of the cost of any project that is undertaken by the government of the province or any agency thereof and that the Minister is authorized to undertake under subsection (1).
Marginal note:Projects with a person
(4) The Minister may enter into an agreement with any person for the joint undertaking of any project that the Minister is authorized to undertake under subsection (1) or for the payment to any person of contributions in respect of the cost of any such project undertaken by that person.
Marginal note:Economic studies
(5) For the purpose of assisting the formulation and assessment of fisheries development projects, the Minister may undertake economic studies alone or jointly with the government of any province or agency thereof or with any university, educational institution or person, and may coordinate any such studies with similar studies undertaken in Canada.
- R.S., c. F-21, s. 3.
- Date modified: