Marginal note:Commission of violation
22. (1) Every contravention or non-compliance that is designated under paragraphs 19(1)(a) to (a.2) constitutes a violation and the person that commits the violation is liable to a penalty determined in accordance with sections 19 and 20.
Marginal note:Notice of violation
(2) If the Commissioner believes on reasonable grounds that a person has committed a violation, he or she may issue, and shall cause to be served on the person, a notice of violation.
Marginal note:Contents of notice
(3) A notice of violation shall name the person believed to have committed a violation, identify the violation and set out
(a) the penalty that the Commissioner proposes to impose;
(b) the right of the person, within 30 days after the notice is served, or within any longer period that the Commissioner specifies, to pay the penalty or to make representations to the Commissioner with respect to the violation and the proposed penalty, and the manner for doing so; and
(c) the fact that, if the person does not pay the penalty or make representations in accordance with the notice, the person will be deemed to have committed the violation and the Commissioner may impose a penalty in respect of it.
- 2001, c. 9, s. 22;
- 2010, c. 12, s. 1845.
Determination of Responsibility and Penalty
Marginal note:Payment of penalty
23. (1) If the person pays the penalty proposed in the notice of violation, the person is deemed to have committed the violation and proceedings in respect of it are ended.
Marginal note:Representations to Commissioner
(2) If the person makes representations in accordance with the notice, the Commissioner shall decide, on a balance of probabilities, whether the person committed the violation and, if so, may, subject to any regulations made under paragraph 19(1)(b), impose the penalty proposed, a lesser penalty or no penalty.
Marginal note:Failure to pay or make representations
(3) A person who neither pays the penalty nor makes representations in accordance with the notice is deemed to have committed the violation and the Commissioner may, subject to any regulations made under paragraph 19(1)(b), impose the penalty proposed, a lesser penalty or no penalty.
Marginal note:Notice of decision and right of appeal
(4) The Commissioner shall cause notice of any decision made under subsection (2) or (3) to be issued and served on the person together with notice of the right of appeal under section 24.
Appeal to Federal Court
Marginal note:Right of appeal
24. (1) A person on whom a notice under subsection 23(4) is served may, within 30 days after the notice is served, or within any longer period that the Court allows, appeal the decision to the Federal Court.
Marginal note:Court to take precautions against disclosing
(2) In an appeal, the Court shall take every reasonable precaution, including, when appropriate, conducting hearings in private, to avoid the disclosure by the Court or any person of confidential information referred to in subsection 17(1) or (3).
Marginal note:Powers of Court
(3) On an appeal, the Court may confirm, set aside or, subject to any regulations made under paragraph 19(1)(b), vary the decision of the Commissioner.
- 2001, c. 9, s. 24;
- 2010, c. 12, s. 1846.
- Date modified: