152.21 (1) Every self-employed person who has entered into an agreement referred to in subsection 152.02(1) that has not been terminated or that is not deemed to have been terminated shall, in respect of every year, pay a self-employment premium equal to the amount determined under subsection (2) multiplied by the premium rate set under section 66.
(2) The amount for the purpose of subsection (1) is the lesser of
(a) the amount of the person’s self-employed earnings for the year,
(b) the maximum yearly insurable earnings for the year, as calculated under section 4, minus the person’s insurable earnings, if any.
(3) For greater certainty, a premium is required to be paid
(a) in respect of the year during which the self-employed person entered into the agreement, regardless of the date on which it was entered into; and
(b) in respect of the year during which the agreement is terminated or deemed to be terminated, regardless of the date on which it was terminated or deemed to be terminated.
- 2009, c. 33, s. 16.
Self-employed Earnings and Collection of Premiums
Marginal note:Return to be filed
152.22 (1) If a self-employed person is required to pay a premium for a year in respect of their self-employed earnings, a return of the person’s self-employed earnings for the year shall, without notice or demand for it, be filed with the Minister of National Revenue in the form and manner, and containing the information, specified by that Minister, by that person (or, if the person is unable for any reason to file the return, by their representative) on or before the day on which the person’s return of income under Part I of the Income Tax Act is required by that Part to be filed or would be required by that Part to be filed if tax under that Part were payable for the year.
Marginal note:Demand for return
(2) Whether or not they are liable to pay a premium for a year in respect of their earnings from self-employment and whether or not a return has been filed under subsection (1), every self-employed person shall, on demand from the Minister of National Revenue, served personally or by registered letter, file with that Minister, in the form and containing information specified by that Minister, within any reasonable time that may be specified in the demand, a return of their earnings from self-employment for the year designated in the demand.
Marginal note:Return by trustee, etc.
(3) Every trustee in bankruptcy, assignee, liquidator, curator, receiver, receiver-manager trustee or committee and every agent, mandatary or other person administering, managing, winding-up, controlling or otherwise dealing with the property, business, estate or succession, or income of a self-employed person who has not filed a return of the person’s self-employed earnings for a year as required by this section must file with the Minister of National Revenue a return, in the form specified by that Minister, of the person’s self-employed earnings for the year.
Marginal note:Identification of province of residence
(4) The information to be contained in any such return must identify the province in which the self-employed person was resident on the last day of that year.
- 2009, c. 33, s. 16.
- Date modified: