COMPLETION OF REPORT
Marginal note:Time for completing report
20. (1) Each commission shall, not later than 10 months after the day on which the chairman receives the copy of the return referred to in paragraph 13(2)(a), complete a report for presentation to the House of Commons setting out the considerations and proposals of the commission concerning the division of the province into electoral districts, the descriptions and boundaries of the districts and the population of and name to be given to each district and, on the completion of the report, shall cause two certified copies of the report to be transmitted to the Chief Electoral Officer.
Marginal note:Extension of time
(2) The Chief Electoral Officer may, on request by a commission, extend the time for the completion of its report for a further period or periods not exceeding two months in the aggregate.
- R.S., 1985, c. E-3, s. 20;
- R.S., 1985, c. 6 (2nd Supp.), s. 4;
- 2011, c. 26, s. 9.
Marginal note:Obligations of Chief Electoral Officer
20.1 (1) On receiving the certified copies referred to in section 20 of the report of any commission, the Chief Electoral Officer shall
(a) transmit one of the copies to the Speaker; and
(b) with the cooperation of the Department of Natural Resources and in accordance with the descriptions and definitions proposed in the report, prepare and print
(i) individual maps of each electoral district showing the proposed boundaries of each district,
(ii) individual maps of each province showing the proposed boundaries of the electoral districts in the province, and
(iii) individual maps of all cities and metropolitan municipalities, portions of which are in more than one proposed electoral district.
Marginal note:Electronic version of maps
(2) The Chief Electoral Officer shall provide an electronic version of each map containing its digital geospatial data to each registered party, as defined in subsection 2(1) of the Canada Elections Act.
- 2011, c. 26, s. 9.
Marginal note:Report to be referred to committee
21. (1) Subject to subsection (2), the Speaker shall cause the certified copy of the report that has been transmitted to him or her to be laid before the House of Commons and referred to the committee of the House of Commons that it may establish for the purposes of dealing with electoral matters without delay on receipt of the copy by the Speaker if Parliament is then sitting or, if Parliament is not then sitting, on any of the first five days of the next sitting of Parliament.
Marginal note:Where report received during interval between sessions
(2) Where the copy referred to in subsection (1) of the report of any commission for a province is received by the Speaker during an interval between two sessions of Parliament, the Speaker shall forthwith cause the copy to be published in the Canada Gazette and a copy of that Canada Gazette to be sent by mail to each of the members of the House of Commons representing electoral districts in that province.
- R.S., 1985, c. E-3, s. 21;
- R.S., 1985, c. 6 (2nd Supp.), s. 5;
- 2011, c. 26, s. 10.
- Date modified: