Marginal note:Taxation of accounts
546. (1) The Chief Electoral Officer shall, in accordance with the tariff made under subsection 542(1), tax all accounts that relate to the conduct of an election and transmit them without delay to the Receiver General.
Marginal note:Rights saved
(2) Despite subsection (1), the rights, if any, of claimants to compel payment or further payment by process of law remain unimpaired.
Marginal note:Giving of notices
547. (1) When any election officer is by this Act authorized or required to give a public notice and no special mode of notification is indicated, the notice may be in the form and given in the manner established by the Chief Electoral Officer.
Marginal note:Posting of notices, etc.
(2) Notices and other documents required by this Act to be posted may be posted despite any law of Canada or of a province or any municipal ordinance or by-law.
Marginal note:Prohibition — removal of notices
548. (1) No person shall, without authority, remove, cover up or alter any Notice of Election or other document that is authorized or required by this Act to be posted.
(2) A notice that may be easily read — to the effect that it is an offence with severe penalties to remove, cover up or alter the document — shall appear on, or be posted near, a Notice of Election or other document referred to in subsection (1).
Oaths and Affidavits
Marginal note:Administration of oaths, etc.
549. (1) When an oath or affidavit is authorized or directed to be taken under this Act, it shall be administered by the person who by this Act is expressly required to administer it and, if there is no such person, then by the Chief Electoral Officer or a person designated by him or her in writing, a judge, the returning officer, an assistant returning officer, a deputy returning officer, a poll clerk, a notary public, a provincial court judge, a justice of the peace or a commissioner for taking affidavits in the province.
Marginal note:No fees for oaths, etc.
(2) All oaths or affidavits taken under this Act shall be administered free of charge.
Marginal note:Taking oath falsely
(3) No person shall take falsely an oath that is provided for by this Act.
Marginal note:Compelling or inducing false oath
(4) No person shall compel, induce or attempt to compel or induce any other person to take falsely an oath that is provided for by this Act.
Signed Pledges by Candidates Prohibited
Marginal note:Signed pledges by candidates prohibited
550. No candidate shall sign a written document presented by way of demand or claim made on him or her by any person or association of persons, between the issue of the writ and polling day, if the document requires the candidate to follow a course of action that will prevent him or her from exercising freedom of action in Parliament, if elected, or to resign as a member if called on to do so by any person or association of persons.
- Date modified: