Reimbursement of Election Expenses
435. (1) On receipt from a registered party of the documents referred to in subsection 429(1), the Chief Electoral Officer shall provide the Receiver General with a certificate that sets out the amount that is 50% of the registered party’s election expenses that were paid by its registered agents as set out in the return for its general election expenses, if
(a) the Chief Electoral Officer is satisfied that the registered party and its chief agent have complied with the requirements of sections 429 to 434;
(b) the auditor’s report does not include a statement referred to in subsection 430(2); and
(c) candidates endorsed by the registered party received at least
(i) 2% of the number of valid votes cast at the election, or
(ii) 5% of the number of valid votes cast in the electoral districts in which the registered party endorsed a candidate.
(2) On receipt of the certificate, the Receiver General shall reimburse the amount set out in it to the registered party by paying that amount out of the Consolidated Revenue Fund.
- 2000, c. 9, s. 435;
- 2003, c. 19, s. 39.
Marginal note:Quarterly allowance
435.01 (1) The Chief Electoral Officer shall determine, for each quarter of a calendar year, an allowance payable to a registered party whose candidates for the most recent general election preceding that quarter received at that election at least
(a) 2% of the number of valid votes cast; or
(b) 5% of the number of valid votes cast in the electoral districts in which the registered party endorsed a candidate.
Marginal note:Computation of fund
(2) An allowance fund for a quarter is the product of the number of valid votes cast in the election referred to in subsection (1) multiplied by the applicable following number:
(a) $0.3825, for the quarter that begins on April 1, 2012 and the three following quarters;
(b) $0.255, for the quarter that begins on April 1, 2013 and the three following quarters; and
(c) $0.1275, for the quarter that begins on April 1, 2014 and the three following quarters.
Marginal note:Computation of party’s allowance
(3) Each such registered party’s allowance for a quarter is that part of the allowance fund for that quarter that corresponds to its percentage of valid votes cast in the election mentioned in subsection (1).
Marginal note:Merger of parties
(4) A merged party is entitled to the aggregate of the allowances to which the merging parties of which it is composed would have been entitled had they not merged.
- 2003, c. 19, s. 40;
- 2011, c. 24, s. 181.
- Date modified: