SPECIAL ACT BODIES CORPORATE WITHOUT SHARE CAPITAL
Marginal note:Application to special Act bodies corporate
294. Part 3, subsections 160(1) and 168(1), sections 212, 221 to 223 and 278 and this Part apply to any body corporate without share capital incorporated by a special Act of Parliament and not continued under any other Act — other than a departmental corporation or a parent Crown corporation, as defined in section 2 of the Financial Administration Act — as if it were a corporation under this Act and any reference in Part 3 or those provisions to the articles of a corporation shall be read as a reference to the body corporate’s incorporating statute.
Marginal note:Report listing Acts of continued or dissolved bodies corporate
295. (1) The Minister may cause to be laid before both Houses of Parliament a report listing every special Act of Parliament that incorporated a body corporate that was later continued under section 212 or dissolved under any of sections 221 to 223.
Marginal note:Referral to committee
(2) The report shall be referred to a committee of each House, or a joint committee of both Houses, that is designated or established for the purpose of reviewing it.
Marginal note:Repeal of Acts
(3) Every Act listed in the report — unless the Act is the subject of a resolution to the contrary of any committee to which the report is referred — is repealed on the day that is one year after the later of the day on which the report is laid before the Senate and the day on which it is laid before the House of Commons.
Marginal note:Publication in the Canada Gazette
(4) The Minister shall, within 60 days after their repeal, publish in the Canada Gazette a list of every Act repealed under subsection (3).
Marginal note:Change of name
296. (1) A body corporate may send to the Director notice of a change of its name that complies with subsections (4) and (5) and that has been approved by special resolution of the members.
Marginal note:Certificate and notice
(2) On receipt of the notice, the Director shall issue a certificate of change of name and give notice of the change as soon as practicable in a publication generally available to the public.
Marginal note:Effective date
(3) A change of name becomes effective on the date shown in the certificate.
Marginal note:Alternate name
(4) The name of a body corporate may be in an English form, a French form, an English form and a French form, or a combined English and French form, so long as the combined form meets any prescribed criteria. The body corporate may use and may be legally designated by any such form.
Marginal note:Prohibited names
(5) A body corporate shall not change its name to, or carry on activities under or identify itself by, a name that would not be permitted under subsection 13(1) if it were a corporation.
Marginal note:Directing change of name
(6) The Director may direct a body corporate to change its name in accordance with subsection (1) if, through inadvertence or otherwise, the body corporate, under this section, has acquired a name that does not comply with subsection (4) or (5).
Marginal note:Undertaking to dissolve or change name
(7) If a body corporate acquires a name as a result of a person undertaking to dissolve or to change names, and the undertaking is not honoured, the Director may direct the body corporate to change its name in accordance with subsection (1), unless the undertaking is honoured within the prescribed period referred to in subsection (8).
Marginal note:Revoking name
(8) If a body corporate has not followed a directive under subsection (6) or (7) within the prescribed period, the Director may revoke the name of the body corporate and assign a name to it and, until changed in accordance with subsection (1), the name of the body corporate is the name assigned by the Director.
- Date modified: