Marginal note:Right of entry
138.1 (1) Subject to subsection (2), any person may, for the purpose of exploring for or exploiting petroleum, enter on and use any portion of the offshore area in order to carry on a work or activity authorized under paragraph 138(1)(b).
(2) Where a person occupies a portion of the offshore area under a lawful right or title, other than an authorization under paragraph 138(1)(b) or an interest as defined in Part II, no person may enter on or use that portion for a purpose referred to in subsection (1) without the consent of the occupier or, where consent has been refused, except in accordance with the terms and conditions imposed by a decision of an arbitrator made in accordance with the regulations.
- 1992, c. 35, s. 58.
Safety of Works and Activities
138.2 The Board shall, before issuing an authorization for a work or activity referred to in paragraph 138(1)(b), consider the safety of the work or activity by reviewing, in consultation with the Chief Safety Officer, the system as a whole and its components, including its structures, facilities, equipment, operating procedures and personnel.
- 1992, c. 35, s. 58.
Marginal note:Compliance with subsection 163(1)
138.3 The Board shall, before issuing an authorization for a work or activity referred to in paragraph 138(1)(b), ensure that the applicant has complied with the requirements of subsection 163(1) in respect of that work or activity.
- 1992, c. 35, s. 58.
Development Plan Approval
Marginal note:Approval of general approach of development
139. (1) No approval that is
(a) applicable to an authorization under paragraph 138(1)(b) to carry on work or activity in relation to developing a pool or field, and
(b) prescribed by the regulations for the purposes of this subsection
shall be granted, except with the approval of both Ministers, unless the Board, on application submitted in accordance with subsection (2), has approved a development plan relating to the pool or field pursuant to paragraphs (4)(a) and (b).
Marginal note:Application and submission of development plan
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), an application for the approval of a development plan shall be submitted to the Board in the form and containing the information fixed by the Board, at such time and in such manner as may be prescribed, together with the proposed development plan in the form and containing the information described in subsection (3).
Marginal note:Development plan in two parts
(3) A development plan relating to the proposed development of a pool or field submitted pursuant to this section shall be set out in two parts, containing
(a) in Part I, a description of the general approach of developing the pool or field, and in particular, information, in such detail as may be prescribed, with respect to
(i) the scope, purpose, location, timing and nature of the proposed development,
(ii) the production rate, evaluations of the pool or field, estimated amounts of petroleum proposed to be recovered, reserves, recovery methods, production monitoring procedures, costs and environmental factors in connection with the proposed development, and
(iii) the production system and any alternative production systems that could be used for the development of the pool or field; and
(b) in Part II, all technical or other information and proposals, as may be prescribed, necessary for a comprehensive review and evaluation of the proposed development.
Marginal note:Approval of development plan
(4) After reviewing an application and development plan submitted by any person pursuant to this section the Board may, subject to such requirements as the Board deems appropriate or as may be prescribed, approve
(a) subject to sections 31 to 40, Part I of the development plan; and
(b) Part II of the development plan.
Marginal note:Approval of amendments to plan
(5) Where a development plan has been approved pursuant to subsection (4), no amendment of Part I or II of the development plan shall be made unless it is approved by the Board in accordance with paragraph (4)(a) or (b), as the case may be.
Marginal note:Application of certain provisions
(6) Subsections (2) to (5) apply, with such modifications as the circumstances require, with respect to a proposed amendment to a development plan.
- 1987, c. 3, s. 139;
- 1992, c. 35, s. 59.
- Date modified: