Marginal note:Offences under Act
197. Every person who commits an offence under subsection 38(6), section 44, subsection 91(2) or (2.1), section 95, subsection 100(4) or section 108 is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding $2,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to both.
- 1984, c. 18, s. 197;
- 2009, c. 12, s. 30.
Marginal note:Contravention of regulations
198. (1) Every person who contravenes a regulation made under this Act is guilty of an offence and is liable on summary conviction to the punishment set out in the regulations.
Marginal note:Regulations may fix maximum punishment
(2) The Governor in Council may make regulations stipulating a maximum fine or a maximum term of imprisonment, or both, for contravention of a regulation, but such maximum fine or maximum term of imprisonment may not exceed two thousand dollars or six months, respectively.
Marginal note:Contravention of by-law
199. (1) Every person who contravenes a by-law made under this Act is guilty of an offence and is liable on summary conviction to the punishment set out in the by-law.
Marginal note:By-law may fix maximum punishment
(2) A by-law made under this Act may stipulate a maximum fine or a maximum term of imprisonment, or both, for contravention of the by-law, but the maximum fine or maximum term of imprisonment may not exceed $2,000 or six months, respectively.
(3) A by-law made under paragraph 45(1)(h) may not impose a term of imprisonment for non-payment of taxes.
- 1984, c. 18, s. 199;
- 2009, c. 12, s. 31.
ADMINISTRATION OF JUSTICE
Marginal note:Jurisdiction of justices of the peace
200. (1) In addition to the courts and persons having jurisdiction in respect of the offences listed in paragraphs (a) and (b), justices of the peace appointed pursuant to section 18.0.9 of the James Bay and Northern Quebec Agreement or section 12.4.1 of the Northeastern Quebec Agreement have jurisdiction in respect of
(a) offences under subsection 199(1); and
(b) offences under the following provisions of the Criminal Code: subsection 245(1) (common assault), section 401 (injuring or endangering animals) and subsection 402(1) (cruelty to animals).
Marginal note:Summary conviction court
(2) For the purpose of exercising their jurisdiction in respect of offences listed in paragraphs (1)(a) and (b), the justices of the peace referred to in subsection (1) are a summary conviction court within the meaning of Part XXIV of the Criminal Code.
Marginal note:References to Criminal Code
(3) The words in parenthesis in paragraph (1)(b) form no part of that paragraph but shall be deemed to have been inserted for convenience of reference only.
- Date modified: