Marginal note:Policing jurisdiction (Crees)
194. If the Cree Regional Authority establishes a regional police force under section 102.1 of the Police Act, R.S.Q., c. P-13.1, as it read on the day on which this section comes into force, that police force is recognized as having jurisdiction over the territory described in section 102.6 of that Act as it read on that day, including Category IA land, for the purpose of enforcing any by-law of a Cree band or the Cree Regional Authority, or any law of Canada or Quebec that is applicable within that territory.
- 1984, c. 18, s. 194;
- 2009, c. 12, s. 28.
Marginal note:Policing jurisdiction (Naskapis)
195. (1) For the purposes of the territorial jurisdiction of the Naskapi village municipality under the Police Act (Quebec), the territory of that municipality shall be deemed to include Category IA-N land.
Marginal note:Jurisdiction of municipal police force
(2) The police force of the Naskapi village municipality referred to in subsection (1) and the members of that force have jurisdiction over Category IA-N land for the purpose of enforcing the applicable laws of Canada and Quebec and the applicable by-laws of the band.
Marginal note:Agreements for policing services
196. (1) A band may, with the approval of the Attorney General of Quebec and the provincial Minister responsible for municipal affairs, enter into an agreement with
(b) the Cree Regional Authority,
(c) the Kativik Regional Government (within the meaning of An Act concerning Northern Villages and the Kativik Regional Government (Quebec)),
(d) a Cree village corporation (within the meaning of The Cree and Naskapi Villages Act (Quebec)), or
(e) any other body empowered to provide policing services
for the provision of policing services on its Category IA or IA-N land.
Marginal note:Cree bands
(1.1) Despite subsection (1), in the case of a Cree band, the band shall obtain the approval of the Cree Regional Authority before it enters into an agreement with a body referred to in any of paragraphs (1)(a) and (c) to (e).
Marginal note:Jurisdiction of police forces
(2) A police force and the members thereof providing policing services pursuant to an agreement made under subsection (1) have jurisdiction over the Category IA or IA-N land of the band for the purposes of enforcing the applicable laws of Canada and Quebec and the applicable by-laws of the band.
- 1984, c. 18, s. 196;
- 2009, c. 12, s. 29.
- Date modified: