Marginal note:Application to Federal Court
168. Where any question arises as to whether the Correctional Investigator has jurisdiction to investigate any particular problem, the Correctional Investigator may apply to the Federal Court for a declaratory order determining the question.
Marginal note:Information program
169. The Correctional Investigator shall maintain a program of communicating information to offenders concerning
(a) the function of the Correctional Investigator;
(b) the circumstances under which an investigation may be commenced by the Correctional Investigator; and
(c) the independence of the Correctional Investigator.
170. (1) The Correctional Investigator may commence an investigation
(a) on the receipt of a complaint by or on behalf of an offender;
(b) at the request of the Minister; or
(c) on the initiative of the Correctional Investigator.
(2) The Correctional Investigator has full discretion as to
(a) whether an investigation should be conducted in relation to any particular complaint or request;
(b) how every investigation is to be carried out; and
(c) whether any investigation should be terminated before its completion.
Marginal note:Right to hold hearing
171. (1) In the course of an investigation, the Correctional Investigator may hold any hearing and make such inquiries as the Correctional Investigator considers appropriate, but no person is entitled as of right to be heard by the Correctional Investigator.
Marginal note:Hearings to be in camera
(2) Every hearing held by the Correctional Investigator shall be in camera unless the Correctional Investigator decides otherwise.
Marginal note:Right to require information and documents
172. (1) In the course of an investigation, the Correctional Investigator may require any person
(a) to furnish any information that, in the opinion of the Correctional Investigator, the person may be able to furnish in relation to the matter being investigated; and
(b) subject to subsection (2), to produce, for examination by the Correctional Investigator, any document, paper or thing that, in the opinion of the Correctional Investigator, relates to the matter being investigated and that may be in the possession or under the control of that person.
Marginal note:Return of document, etc.
(2) The Correctional Investigator shall return any document, paper or thing produced pursuant to paragraph (1)(b) to the person who produced it within ten days after a request therefor is made to the Correctional Investigator, but nothing in this subsection precludes the Correctional Investigator from again requiring its production in accordance with paragraph (1)(b).
Marginal note:Right to make copies
(3) The Correctional Investigator may make copies of any document, paper or thing produced pursuant to paragraph (1)(b).
- Date modified: