Marginal note:Service on an association
456. A notice or document required by this Act to be sent to or served on an association may be sent by registered mail to the head office of the association and, if so sent, is deemed to be received or served at the time it would be delivered in the ordinary course of mail unless there are reasonable grounds for believing that the association did not receive the notice or document at that time or at all.
Marginal note:Certificate of association
457. (1) A certificate issued on behalf of an association stating any fact that is set out in the incorporating instrument, the by-laws, the minutes of a meeting, or in a contract to which the association is a party, may be signed by a director or an officer of the association.
Marginal note:Proof of certain cases
(2) When introduced as evidence in any civil, criminal or administrative action or proceeding,
(a) a fact stated in a certificate referred to in subsection (1),
(b) a certified extract from the members register of an association,
(c) a certified extract from a securities register of an association, or
(d) a certified copy of, or an extract from, minutes of a meeting
is, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, proof of the facts so certified without proof of the signature or official character of the person appearing to have signed the certificate.
Marginal note:Entry in securities register
458. (1) An entry in the securities register of, or on a security certificate issued by, an association is evidence that the person in whose name the security is registered is the owner of the securities described in the register or in the certificate.
Marginal note:Entry in members register
(2) An entry in the members register of an association is evidence that the person in whose name a membership share is registered is a member of that association and the owner of that membership share.
- 1991, c. 48, s. 458;
- 2005, c. 54, s. 207(F).
Marginal note:Verification of documents or fact
459. (1) The Superintendent may require that a document or a fact stated in a document that is required by or under this Act to be sent to the Superintendent or to the Minister be verified in accordance with subsection (2).
Marginal note:Form of proof
(2) A document or fact required by this Act or by the Superintendent to be verified may be verified by affidavit made under oath or by statutory declaration under the Canada Evidence Act before any commissioner for oaths or for taking affidavits.
Marginal note:Alternative means of publication
459.1 (1) Anything that is required by a provision of this Act to be published in the Canada Gazette or to be published in any other way may, instead of being published in that way, be published in any manner that may be prescribed for the purpose of that provision.
Marginal note:Alternative means of publishing summaries
(2) Anything that is required by a provision of this Act to be summarized in a publication may instead be summarized and published in any manner that may be prescribed for the purpose of that provision.
Marginal note:Publication conditions
(3) Any condition under a provision of this Act that something be published in the Canada Gazette or in any other way is satisfied if that thing is published instead in any manner that may be prescribed for the purpose of that provision.
Marginal note:Other consequences
(4) Where a provision of this Act provides for consequences to follow the publication of something in the Canada Gazette or in any other manner, the same consequences follow the publication of that thing in any other manner that may be prescribed for the purpose of that provision.
- 1997, c. 15, s. 159.
- Date modified: