Marginal note:Act ceases to apply
33. If an association applies for a certificate or letters patent referred to in section 32 in accordance with that section and the certificate is given or the letters patent are issued, this Act ceases to apply to the association as of the day the certificate or the letters patent take effect.
- 1991, c. 48, s. 33;
- 1998, c. 1, s. 382;
- 2001, c. 9, s. 259;
- 2007, c. 6, s. 142.
34. [Repealed, 2007, c. 6, s. 142]
Marginal note:Prohibited names
35. (1) An association may not be incorporated under this Act with a name
(a) that is prohibited by an Act of Parliament;
(b) that is, in the opinion of the Superintendent, deceptively misdescriptive;
(c) that is the same as or, in the opinion of the Superintendent, substantially the same as or confusingly similar to, any existing
(i) trade-mark or trade name, or
(ii) corporate name of a body corporate,
except where the trade-mark or trade name is being changed or the body corporate is being dissolved or is changing its corporate name and consent to the use of the trade-mark, trade name or corporate name is signified to the Superintendent in such manner as the Superintendent may require;
(d) that is the same as or, in the opinion of the Superintendent, substantially the same as or confusingly similar to, the known name under or by which any entity carries on business or is identified; or
(e) that is reserved under section 39 for another association or a proposed association.
Marginal note:Use of “cooperative”
(2) Notwithstanding the Canada Cooperatives Act, an association may use the word “cooperative” or “coopérative”, or any abbreviation of that word, in its name.
- 1991, c. 48, s. 35;
- 1996, c. 6, s. 49;
- 1997, c. 15, s. 117;
- 1998, c. 1, s. 383.
36. The name of an association shall include
(a) the word “cooperative” or “coopérative”, along with another word or expression indicating the financial nature of the association;
(b) the phrase “central credit union”, “credit union central” or “fédération de caisses populaires”;
(c) any combination or derivative of words and phrases referred to in paragraphs (a) and (b); or
(d) any word or phrase specified by the Minister.
- 1991, c. 48, s. 36;
- 2001, c. 9, s. 260;
- 2007, c. 6, s. 143.
- Date modified: