Marginal note:Approval of Minister required
329. (1) No action directed toward the voluntary liquidation and dissolution of an association shall be taken by an association, other than as provided in sections 327 and 328, until an application made by the association pursuant to section 328 has been approved by the Minister.
Marginal note:Conditional approval
(2) Where the Minister is satisfied on the basis of an application made pursuant to section 328 that the circumstances warrant the voluntary liquidation and dissolution of an association, the Minister may, by order, approve the application.
Marginal note:Effect of approval
(3) Where the Minister has approved an application made pursuant to section 328 with respect to an association, the association shall not carry on business except to the extent necessary to complete its voluntary liquidation.
Marginal note:Liquidation process
(4) Where the Minister has approved an application made pursuant to section 328 with respect to an association, the association shall
(a) cause notice of the approval to be sent to each known claimant against and creditor of the association;
(b) publish notice of the approval once a week for four consecutive weeks in the Canada Gazette and once a week for two consecutive weeks in one or more newspapers in general circulation in each province in which the association transacted any business within the preceding twelve months;
(c) proceed to collect its property, dispose of property that is not to be distributed in kind to its members, discharge all its obligations and do all other acts required to liquidate its business; and
(d) after giving the notice required under paragraphs (a) and (b) and adequately providing for the payment or discharge of all its obligations, distribute its remaining property, either in money or in kind, among its members according to their respective rights.
Marginal note:Dissolution instrument
330. (1) Unless a court has made an order in accordance with subsection 331(1), the Minister may, if satisfied that the association has complied with subsection 329(4) and that all the circumstances so warrant, issue letters patent dissolving the association.
Marginal note:Association dissolved
(2) An association in respect of which letters patent are issued under subsection (1) is dissolved and ceases to exist on the day stated in the letters patent.
Marginal note:Application for court supervision
331. (1) The Superintendent or any interested person may, at any time during the liquidation of an association, apply to a court for an order for the continuance of the voluntary liquidation under the supervision of the court in accordance with this section and sections 332 to 344 and on such application the court may so order and make any further order it thinks fit.
(2) An application under subsection (1) to a court to supervise a voluntary liquidation shall state the reasons, verified by an affidavit of the applicant, why the court should supervise the liquidation.
Marginal note:Notice to Superintendent
(3) Where a person, other than the Superintendent, makes an application under subsection (1), the person shall give the Superintendent notice of the application and the Superintendent may appear and be heard in person or by counsel at the hearing of the application.
- Date modified: