Marginal note:Application for inquiry
9. (1) Any six persons resident in Canada who are not less than eighteen years of age and who are of the opinion that
(a) a person has contravened an order made pursuant to section 32, 33 or 34, or Part VII.1 or VIII,
(b) grounds exist for the making of an order under Part VII.1 or VIII, or
(c) an offence under Part VI or VII has been or is about to be committed,
may apply to the Commissioner for an inquiry into the matter.
Marginal note:Material to be submitted
(2) An application made under subsection (1) shall be accompanied by a statement in the form of a solemn or statutory declaration showing
(a) the names and addresses of the applicants, and at their election the name and address of any one of their number, or of any attorney, solicitor or counsel, whom they may, for the purpose of receiving any communication to be made pursuant to this Act, have authorized to represent them;
(b) the nature of
(i) the alleged contravention,
(ii) the grounds alleged to exist for the making of an order, or
(iii) the alleged offence
and the names of the persons believed to be concerned therein and privy thereto; and
(c) a concise statement of the evidence supporting their opinion.
- R.S., 1985, c. C-34, s. 9;
- R.S., 1985, c. 19 (2nd Supp.), s. 22;
- 1999, c. 2, ss. 6, 37.
Marginal note:Inquiry by Commissioner
10. (1) The Commissioner shall
(a) on application made under section 9,
(b) whenever the Commissioner has reason to believe that
(i) a person has contravened an order made pursuant to section 32, 33 or 34, or Part VII.1 or Part VIII,
(ii) grounds exist for the making of an order under Part VII.1 or Part VIII, or
(iii) an offence under Part VI or VII has been or is about to be committed, or
(c) whenever directed by the Minister to inquire whether any of the circumstances described in subparagraphs (b)(i) to (iii) exists,
cause an inquiry to be made into all such matters as the Commissioner considers necessary to inquire into with the view of determining the facts.
Marginal note:Information on inquiry
(2) The Commissioner shall, on the written request of any person whose conduct is being inquired into under this Act or any person who applies for an inquiry under section 9, inform that person or cause that person to be informed as to the progress of the inquiry.
Marginal note:Inquiries to be in private
(3) All inquiries under this section shall be conducted in private.
- R.S., 1985, c. C-34, s. 10;
- R.S., 1985, c. 19 (2nd Supp.), s. 23;
- 1999, c. 2, ss. 7, 37, c. 31, s. 45.
- Date modified: