Marginal note:Amateur sport
6. (1) This Act does not apply in respect of agreements or arrangements between or among teams, clubs and leagues pertaining to participation in amateur sport.
Definition of “amateur sport”
(2) For the purposes of this section, “amateur sport” means sport in which the participants receive no remuneration for their services as participants.
- 1974-75-76, c. 76, s. 2.
Marginal note:Commissioner of Competition
7. (1) The Governor in Council may appoint an officer to be known as the Commissioner of Competition, who shall be responsible for
(a) the administration and enforcement of this Act;
(b) the administration of the Consumer Packaging and Labelling Act;
Marginal note:Oath of office
(2) The Commissioner shall, before taking up the duties of the Commissioner, take and subscribe, before the Clerk of the Privy Council, an oath or solemn affirmation, which shall be filed in the office of the Clerk, in the following form:
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully, truly and impartially, and to the best of my judgment, skill and ability, execute the powers and trusts reposed in me as Commissioner of Competition. (In the case where an oath is taken add "So help me God".)
(3) The Commissioner shall be paid such salary as may be from time to time fixed and allowed by the Governor in Council.
- R.S., 1985, c. C-34, s. 7;
- 1999, c. 2, ss. 4, 37.
Marginal note:Deputy Commissioners
8. (1) One or more persons may be appointed Deputy Commissioners of Competition in the manner authorized by law.
Marginal note:Powers of Deputy
(2) The Governor in Council may authorize a Deputy Commissioner to exercise the powers and perform the duties of the Commissioner whenever the Commissioner is absent or unable to act or whenever there is a vacancy in the office of Commissioner.
Marginal note:Powers of other persons
(3) The Governor in Council may authorize any person to exercise the powers and perform the duties of the Commissioner whenever the Commissioner and the Deputy Commissioners are absent or unable to act or, if one or more of those offices are vacant, whenever the holders of the other of those offices are absent or unable to act.
Marginal note:Inquiry by Deputy
(4) The Commissioner may authorize a Deputy Commissioner to make inquiry regarding any matter into which the Commissioner has power to inquire, and when so authorized a Deputy Commissioner shall perform the duties and may exercise the powers of the Commissioner in respect of that matter.
Marginal note:Powers of Commissioner unaffected
(5) The exercise, pursuant to this Act, of any of the powers or the performance of any of the duties of the Commissioner by a Deputy Commissioner or other person does not in any way limit, restrict or qualify the powers or duties of the Commissioner, either generally or with respect to any particular matter.
- R.S., 1985, c. C-34, s. 8;
- 1999, c. 2, s. 5.
- Date modified: