DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION
Marginal note:Notice for disclosure of information
16. (1) The Minister may send a notice to any person who the Minister believes on reasonable grounds has information or documents relevant to the enforcement of this Act, requesting the person to provide the information or documents to the Minister.
Marginal note:Compliance with notice
(2) A person who receives a notice referred to in subsection (1) shall provide the requested information and documents to the Minister in the form and within the time specified in the notice.
Marginal note:Privileged information
17. (1) Information and documents obtained pursuant to this Act or the Convention are privileged.
(2) Information and documents are not privileged to the extent that they are required to be disclosed or communicated for the purposes of an emergency involving public safety.
(3) No person in possession of privileged information or documents shall knowingly, without the written consent of the person from whom they were obtained, communicate them or allow them to be communicated to any person, or allow any person to have access to them, except
(a) for the purpose of the enforcement of this Act or of giving effect to the Convention; or
(b) pursuant to an obligation of the Government of Canada under the Convention.
Marginal note:Evidence in legal proceedings
(4) Notwithstanding any other Act or law, no person shall be required, in connection with any legal proceedings, to produce any statement or other record containing privileged information or documents, or to give evidence relating to them, unless the proceedings relate to the enforcement of this Act.
18. The Governor in Council may make regulations for carrying out and giving effect to the provisions of the Convention and, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, may make regulations
(a) prescribing conditions under which activities referred to in subsection 8(1) may be carried on, providing for the issue, suspension and cancellation of licences governing the carrying on of any such activity and prescribing the fees or the manner of calculating the fees to be paid in respect of any such licence;
(b) respecting the procedures to be followed by representatives of the National Authority in exercising their functions under this Act; and
(c) prescribing anything that by this Act is to be prescribed.
AMENDMENTS TO THE CONVENTION
Marginal note:Publication required
19. The Minister shall, as soon as practicable after any amendment to the Convention is made pursuant to Article XV of the Convention, cause a copy of the amendment to be published in the Canada Gazette.
- Date modified: