Marginal note:National Authority
3. (1) For the purposes of implementing Canada’s obligations under the Convention and of giving effect to paragraph 4 of Article VII of the Convention, the Minister may designate any portion of the federal public administration to be the National Authority for Canada.
(2) For the purposes of implementing Canada’s obligations under the Convention, the Minister
(a) may designate persons or classes of persons to act as representatives of the National Authority; and
(b) shall furnish every representative of the National Authority with a certificate of designation.
Marginal note:Contents of certificate
(3) A certificate of designation must indicate the places or classes of places that the holder of the certificate is authorized to have access to for the purposes of this Act and any conditions applicable to the holder’s activities under the certificate that the Minister considers advisable for those purposes.
Marginal note:Identification required
(4) Every holder of a certificate of designation shall, on request of the person in charge of a place to be entered by the holder under this Act, show the certificate to that person.
- 1995, c. 25, s. 3;
- 2003, c. 22, s. 224(E).
PURPOSE OF ACT
Marginal note:Implementation of Convention
4. The purpose of this Act is to implement Canada’s obligations under the Convention.
Marginal note:Binding on Her Majesty
5. This Act is binding on Her Majesty in right of Canada or a province.
CHEMICAL WEAPONS AND RIOT CONTROL AGENTS
Marginal note:Chemical weapons
6. No person shall
(a) develop, produce, otherwise acquire, stockpile or retain a chemical weapon, or transfer, directly or indirectly, a chemical weapon to anyone;
(b) use a chemical weapon;
(c) engage in any military preparations to use a chemical weapon; or
(d) assist, encourage or induce, in any way, anyone to engage in any activity prohibited to a State Party under the Convention.
Marginal note:Riot control agents
7. No person shall use a riot control agent as a method of warfare.
TOXIC CHEMICALS AND PRECURSORS
Marginal note:Schedule 1 toxic chemicals and precursors
8. (1) Except as authorized by or pursuant to any regulations made under paragraph 18(a), no person shall produce, use, acquire or possess a toxic chemical or precursor listed in Schedule 1 of the Schedules of Chemicals set out in the Annex on Chemicals in the Convention.
Marginal note:Export or import
(2) Except as authorized under the Export and Import Permits Act, no person shall export or import a toxic chemical or precursor listed in Schedule 1 of the Schedules of Chemicals set out in the Annex on Chemicals in the Convention.
- Date modified: