Marginal note:Officers and employees
7. (1) The Commission may appoint such officers and employees as are necessary for the proper conduct of the work of the Commission and prescribe their duties and, subject to the approval of the Treasury Board, the conditions of their employment.
Marginal note:Salaries and expenses of staff
(2) The officers and employees of the Commission appointed as provided in subsection (1) shall be paid such salaries and expenses as are fixed by the Commission with the approval of the Treasury Board.
- R.S., c. C-7, s. 7.
OBJECTS OF THE COMMISSION
Marginal note:Objects of Commission
8. The objects of the Commission are to provide efficient producers of milk and cream with the opportunity of obtaining a fair return for their labour and investment and to provide consumers of dairy products with a continuous and adequate supply of dairy products of high quality.
- R.S., c. C-7, s. 8.
POWERS OF THE COMMISSION
9. (1) The Commission may
(a) purchase any dairy product and sell, or otherwise dispose of, any dairy product purchased by it;
(b) package, process, store, ship, insure, import or export any dairy product purchased by the Commission;
(c) make payments for the benefit of producers of milk and cream for the purpose of providing protection for the income of those producers from the sale of those products, which payments may be made on the basis of volume, quality or on any other basis that the Commission deems appropriate;
(d) make investigations into any matter relating to the production, processing or marketing of any dairy product, including the cost of producing, processing or marketing that product;
(e) undertake and assist in the promotion of the use of dairy products, the improvement of the quality and variety of and the publication of information in relation to those products;
(f) establish and operate a pool or pools in respect of the marketing of milk or cream, including
(i) distributing money to producers of milk or cream received from the marketing of any quantity of milk or cream, or any component, class, variety or grade of milk or cream from the pool or pools, and
(ii) deducting from the money distributed under subparagraph (i) any necessary and proper expenses of operating the pool or pools;
(g) establish the price, or minimum or maximum price, paid or to be paid to the Commission, or to producers of milk or cream, the basis on which that payment is to be made and the terms and manner of payment that is to be made in respect of the marketing of any quantity of milk or cream, or any component, class, variety or grade of milk or cream;
(h) collect the price paid or to be paid to the Commission, or to any producer in respect of the marketing of any quantity of milk or cream, or any component, class, variety or grade of milk or cream, or recover that price in a court of competent jurisdiction;
(i) subject to an agreement entered into under section 9.1, establish and operate a program in respect of the quantities and prices of milk or cream, or of any component, class, variety or grade of milk or cream, necessary for the competitive international trade in, and the promotion and facilitation of the marketing of, dairy products, including
(i) distributing money for the purpose of the equalization of returns to producers in respect of that milk or cream, or that component, class, variety or grade, from which those dairy products are made, and
(ii) deducting from the money distributed under subparagraph (i) any necessary and proper expenses of operating the program; and
(j) do all acts and things necessary or incidental to the exercise of any of its powers or the carrying out of any of its functions under this Act.
(2) For the purpose of carrying out any investigation under paragraph (1)(d), the Commission has all the powers of a commissioner appointed under Part I of the Inquiries Act.
Marginal note:Rules of procedure
(3) The Commission may make the rules it deems necessary for the regulation of its proceedings, for the fixing of a quorum for any of its meetings and generally for the conduct of its activities under this Act.
- R.S., 1985, c. C-15, s. 9;
- 1994, c. 26, s. 19;
- 1995, c. 23, s. 2.
- Date modified: