Marginal note:Formulation by the Minister of Health
55. (1) For the purpose of carrying out the mandate of the Minister of Health related to preserving and improving public health under this Act, the Minister of Health shall issue objectives, guidelines and codes of practice with respect to the elements of the environment that may affect the life and health of the people of Canada.
(2) In carrying out the duties under subsection (1), the Minister of Health may consult with a government, a government department or agency, aboriginal people, representatives of industry and labour and municipal authorities or with persons interested in the preservation and improvement of public health.
(3) The Minister of Health shall publish any objectives, guidelines or codes of practice issued under this section, or give notice of them, in the Canada Gazette and in any other manner that the Minister of Health considers appropriate.
Pollution Prevention Plans
Marginal note:Requirement for pollution prevention plans
56. (1) The Minister may, at any time, publish in the Canada Gazette and in any other manner that the Minister considers appropriate a notice requiring any person or class of persons described in the notice to prepare and implement a pollution prevention plan in respect of a substance or group of substances specified on the List of Toxic Substances in Schedule 1, or to which subsection 166(1) or 176(1) applies.
Marginal note:Contents of notice
(2) The notice may specify
(a) the substance or group of substances in relation to which the plan is to be prepared;
(b) the commercial, manufacturing, processing or other activity in relation to which the plan is to be prepared;
(c) the factors to be considered in preparing the plan;
(d) the period within which the plan is to be prepared;
(e) the period within which the plan is to be implemented; and
(f) any administrative matter necessary for the purposes of this Part.
Marginal note:Extension of time
(3) Where the Minister is of the opinion that further time is necessary to prepare or implement the plan, the Minister may extend the period for a person who submits a written request before the expiry of the period referred to in the notice or of any extended period.
Marginal note:Publication of notice of extension
(4) The Minister shall publish in the Canada Gazette and in any other manner that the Minister considers appropriate a notice stating the name of any person for whom an extension is granted, whether the extension is for the preparation or implementation of the plan, and the duration of the period of the extension.
Marginal note:Application for waiver
(5) On a written request submitted by any person to whom a notice under subsection (1) is directed, the Minister may waive the requirement for that person to consider a factor specified under paragraph (2)(c) where the Minister is of the opinion that it is not reasonable or practicable to consider the factor on the basis of reasons provided in the request.
- Date modified: