Marginal note:Absence of Chairperson
14. In the event of the absence or incapacity of the Chairperson or if the office of Chairperson is vacant, the Vice-Chairperson has all the powers and shall perform all the duties and functions of the Chairperson.
Marginal note:Absence of both Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson
15. The Chairperson may authorize one or more of the members to act as Chairperson for the time being if both the Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson are absent or unable to act.
16. (1) Subject to the Agency’s rules, two members constitute a quorum.
Marginal note:Quorum lost because of incapacity of member
(2) Where a member who is conducting a hearing in respect of a matter becomes incapacitated or dies during the hearing or after the conclusion of the hearing but before rendering a decision and quorum is lost as a result, the Chairperson may, with the consent of all the parties to the hearing,
(a) if the incapacity or death occurs during the hearing, authorize another member to continue the hearing and render a decision, or
(b) if the incapacity or death occurs after the conclusion of the hearing, authorize another member to examine the evidence presented at the hearing and render a decision,
and in either case, the quorum in respect of the matter is deemed never to have been lost.
Marginal note:Quorum not lost because of incapacity of member
(3) Where a member who is conducting a hearing in respect of a matter becomes incapacitated or dies during the hearing and quorum is not lost as a result, another member may be assigned by the Chairperson to participate in the hearing and in the rendering of a decision.
17. The Agency may make rules respecting
(a) the sittings of the Agency and the carrying on of its work;
(b) the manner of and procedures for dealing with matters and business before the Agency, including the circumstances in which hearings may be held in private; and
(c) the number of members that are required to hear any matter or perform any of the functions of the Agency under this Act or any other Act of Parliament.
Marginal note:Head office
Marginal note:Residence of members
(2) The members appointed under subsection 7(2) shall reside in the National Capital Region described in the schedule to the National Capital Act or within any distance of it that the Governor in Council determines.
- 1996, c. 10, s. 18;
- 2007, c. 19, s. 5;
- 2008, c. 21, s. 61.
- Date modified: