Marginal note:Acceptance of foreign certificates
89. (1) If the government of a foreign state has entered into a reciprocal arrangement with the Government of Canada to accept certificates of competency issued under this Part in lieu of certificates of competency of that state and if the Minister is satisfied that the requirements under the laws of the foreign state for a certificate of competency meet or exceed the requirements under this Act, the Minister may direct, subject to any conditions that the Minister specifies, that the foreign certificate may be accepted in lieu of a certificate of competency issued under this Part.
Marginal note:Suspension or cancellation
(2) A foreign certificate that is accepted under subsection (1) may, in so far only as concerns its validity in Canada, be suspended or cancelled by the Minister as though it were a Canadian maritime document, and the holder of any certificate so suspended or cancelled must deliver it to the Minister, who must then return it to the authority that issued it.
Medical or Optometric Information
Marginal note:Minister to be provided with information
90. (1) If a physician or an optometrist believes on reasonable grounds that the holder of a certificate issued under this Part has a medical or optometric condition that is likely to constitute a hazard to maritime safety, the physician or optometrist shall inform the Minister without delay of that opinion and the reasons for it.
Marginal note:Patient to advise
(2) The holder of a certificate issued under this Part in respect of which standards of medical or optometric fitness are required shall, before being examined by a physician or an optometrist, advise the physician or optometrist that they hold the certificate.
Marginal note:Use by Minister
(3) The Minister may use any information provided under subsection (1) for the purpose of determining whether the holder of a certificate meets the requirements in respect of that certificate.
Marginal note:No proceedings shall lie
(4) No legal, disciplinary or other proceedings lie against a physician or optometrist for anything they do in good faith in compliance with this section.
Marginal note:Deemed consent
(5) The holder of a certificate is deemed, for the purposes of this section, to have consented to the Minister being informed under subsection (1) in the circumstances referred to in that subsection.
Articles of Agreement, Discharge and Record of Sea Service
Marginal note:Articles of agreement
91. (1) The master of a vessel who is required by the regulations made under this Part to enter into articles of agreement shall
(a) ensure that every crew member has entered into and received articles of agreement, in the form and manner specified by the Minister, with respect to their position on the vessel; and
(b) display, in a location that is accessible to the crew, the provisions of the articles of agreement that are common to each crew member.
(2) The articles of agreement between the master and a crew member must state the surname and other names of the crew member, the respective rights and obligations of each of the parties and any other information required by the regulations made under this Part.
- Date modified: