Transfers of Vessels or Shares in Vessels
73. If the ownership of a Canadian vessel or a share in one changes and the vessel is still required or entitled to be registered under this Part,
(a) the owner must provide the Chief Registrar with the evidence, including declarations, that the Chief Registrar considers necessary to establish that the vessel is required or entitled to be so registered; and
(b) the Chief Registrar must amend the Register and the vessel’s certificate of registry to reflect the change.
Marginal note:Order for sale on acquisition by an unqualified person
74. If an unqualified person acquires a Canadian vessel, other than a vessel described in paragraph 47(b) (a vessel owned by a foreign corporation), a vessel described in paragraph 47(c) (a vessel subject to a financing agreement) or a vessel described in section 48 (a bare-boat chartered vessel), or a share in one, any interested person may apply to the Federal Court, or any court of competent jurisdiction whose rules provide for in rem procedure in respect of vessels, for an order that the vessel or share, as the case may be, be sold to a qualified person.
Marginal note:Power of court to prohibit transfer
75. On the application of an interested person, the Federal Court, or any court of competent jurisdiction whose rules provide for in rem procedure in respect of vessels, may make an order prohibiting any dealing with a Canadian vessel or a share in one for a specified period.
Marginal note:Application for fleet
75.01 (1) An applicant may, instead of applying to have vessels individually registered in the small vessel register, apply to register a group of two or more vessels as a fleet in that register.
Marginal note:Form and manner
(2) The application must be made in the form and manner, include the information and be accompanied by the documents specified by the Chief Registrar.
Marginal note:Further evidence
(3) In addition to the specified information and documents, the Chief Registrar may require an applicant to provide evidence, including declarations, that the Chief Registrar considers necessary to establish that the group of vessels may be registered as a fleet.
- 2011, c. 15, s. 42.
Marginal note:Registration — fleet
75.02 (1) The Chief Registrar may register a group of two or more vessels as a fleet if he or she is satisfied that
(a) all of the vessels are owned by the same owner;
(b) each vessel meets the requirements for registration in the small vessel register; and
(c) each vessel meets any other requirement — including with respect to a vessel’s dimensions, usage or propulsion — that the Chief Registrar may establish for the vessels of a fleet.
Marginal note:Small vessel register
(2) A fleet that is accepted for registration must be registered in the small vessel register.
- 2011, c. 15, s. 42.
- Date modified: