Marginal note:Descriptive cross-references
3. If, in any provision of this Act, a reference to another provision of this Act is followed by words in parentheses that are or purport to be descriptive of the subject-matter of the provision referred to, those words form no part of the provision in which they occur but are inserted for convenience of reference only.
4. The Governor in Council may, on the recommendation of the Minister of Transport, make regulations prescribing anything that may be prescribed under section 2.
- 2001, c. 26, s. 4;
- 2005, c. 29, s. 15.
Marginal note:Binding on Her Majesty
5. Except as otherwise provided, this Act is binding on Her Majesty in right of Canada or a province.
Marginal note:Objectives of Act
6. The objectives of this Act are to
(a) protect the health and well-being of individuals, including the crews of vessels, who participate in marine transportation and commerce;
(b) promote safety in marine transportation and recreational boating;
(c) protect the marine environment from damage due to navigation and shipping activities;
(d) develop a regulatory scheme that encourages viable, effective and economical marine transportation and commerce;
(e) promote an efficient marine transportation system;
(f) develop a regulatory scheme that encourages the viable, effective and economical use of Canadian waters by recreational boaters;
(g) ensure that Canada can meet its international obligations under bilateral and multilateral agreements with respect to navigation and shipping;
(h) encourage the harmonization of marine practices; and
(i) establish an effective inspection and enforcement program.
7. (1) Notwithstanding any other provision of this Act, this Act does not apply in respect of a vessel, facility or aircraft that belongs to the Canadian Forces or a foreign military force or in respect of any other vessel, facility or aircraft that is under the command, control or direction of the Canadian Forces.
(2) The Governor in Council may, on the recommendation of the Minister of Transport, make regulations varying or excluding the application, in respect of government vessels, of any provision of this Act.
Marginal note:Conflicts with foreign rules
(3) Regulations made under this Act do not, unless they expressly provide otherwise, apply in respect of a Canadian vessel in the waters of a country other than Canada if the regulations are inconsistent with a law of that country that, by its terms, applies in respect of the vessel when in the waters of that country.
- Date modified: