Marginal note:Proof of ownership
191. A cooperative must treat a person, other than one described in section 190, as being entitled to exercise the rights and privileges attached to a security if the person provides proof that the person has acquired ownership of the security by operation of law or has legal authority to exercise the rights and privileges.
Marginal note:Joint owners
192. If satisfactory proof of the death of a joint holder of a security is provided to a cooperative, it may treat any surviving joint holders as the owner of the security.
Marginal note:Duties of cooperative
193. A cooperative is not required to inquire into the existence of, or see to the performance of, any duty owed to a third person by a registered holder or a person who may be treated as a registered holder of a security.
194. If an individual who is less than 18 years of age exercises a right of ownership in a security of a cooperative, no subsequent repudiation or avoidance or, in Quebec, annulment or reduction of obligations is effective against the cooperative.
- 1998, c. 1, s. 194;
- 2011, c. 21, s. 92.
Marginal note:Deceased owner
195. (1) Subject to any applicable law relating to the collection of taxes, a person who is an heir or a fiduciary of an estate or succession of a deceased security holder is entitled to become the registered holder or to designate a registered holder if the person deposits the following information with the cooperative or its transfer agent, together with any reasonable assurances that the cooperative may require:
(a) the security certificate or, in default of one, a document proving that the deceased was the security holder;
(b) a document proving the death of the security holder; and
(c) a document proving that the heir or fiduciary has the right under the law of the place in which the deceased was domiciled immediately before their death to deal with the security.
(2) A security certificate referred to in paragraph (1)(a) must be endorsed
(a) in the case of a transfer to an heir or fiduciary, by that person; and
(b) in any other case, in a manner acceptable to the cooperative.
Marginal note:Right of cooperative
(3) Deposit of the documents required by subsection (1) empowers a cooperative or its transfer agent to record in a securities register the transmission of a security from the deceased holder to the heir or fiduciary or to any person that the heir or fiduciary may designate and to treat the person who becomes a registered holder as the owner of the securities.
- Date modified: