14. (1) The Minister and the Governor shall consult regularly on monetary policy and on its relation to general economic policy.
Marginal note:Minister’s directive
(2) If, notwithstanding the consultations provided for in subsection (1), there should emerge a difference of opinion between the Minister and the Bank concerning the monetary policy to be followed, the Minister may, after consultation with the Governor and with the approval of the Governor in Council, give to the Governor a written directive concerning monetary policy, in specific terms and applicable for a specified period, and the Bank shall comply with that directive.
Marginal note:Publication and report
(3) A directive given under this section shall be published forthwith in the Canada Gazette and shall be laid before Parliament within fifteen days after the giving thereof, or, if Parliament is not then sitting, on any of the first fifteen days next thereafter that either House of Parliament is sitting.
- R.S., c. B-2, s. 14.
Marginal note:Officers and employees
15. (1) Such officers and employees may be employed as in the opinion of the Executive Committee may be necessary.
Marginal note:Pension fund
(2) The Board may by by-law establish a pension fund for the officers and employees of the Bank and their dependants and may contribute to it out of the funds of the Bank. The pension fund shall be invested in such manner as may be provided by the by-laws of the Bank.
Marginal note:By-laws respecting Governor and Deputy Governor
(3) A by-law made under subsection (2) that provides for or relates to the payment of a pension in respect of the retirement of the Governor or Deputy Governor otherwise than by reason of age or disability does not take effect unless it is approved by the Governor in Council.
- R.S., 1985, c. B-2, s. 15;
- 1997, c. 15, s. 96(E).
Marginal note:Oath of directors and staff
16. Before a person starts to act as a director, an officer or an employee of the Bank, he or she shall take an oath, or make a solemn affirmation, of fidelity and secrecy, in the form set out in the schedule, before a commissioner for taking affidavits.
- R.S., 1985, c. B-2, s. 16;
- 1997, c. 15, s. 97;
- 2001, c. 9, s. 193.
CAPITAL AND SHARES
17. (1) The capital of the Bank shall be five million dollars but may be increased from time to time pursuant to a resolution passed by the Board of Directors and approved by the Governor in Council and by Parliament.
(2) The capital shall be divided into one hundred thousand shares of the par value of fifty dollars each, which shall be issued to the Minister to be held by the Minister on behalf of Her Majesty in right of Canada.
(3) The shares issued to the Minister shall be registered by the Bank in the name of the Minister in the books of the Bank at Ottawa.
- R.S., c. B-2, s. 17.
- Date modified: