Marginal note:Letters patent of incorporation on application of banks
677. (1) If, under section 671, the Minister issues letters patent incorporating a bank holding company on the application of a bank, there may, on the request of the bank, and with the approval of the Minister, be included in the letters patent of incorporation of the bank holding company a provision deeming shares of the bank holding company to be issued, on a share for share basis, to all shareholders of the bank in exchange for all the issued and outstanding shares of the bank.
Marginal note:Effect of provision
(2) Shares of a bank holding company deemed to be issued under subsection (1) are subject to the same designation, rights, privileges and restrictions or conditions and, subject to any agreement to the contrary, to the same charges, encumbrances and other restrictions as the shares of the bank for which they are exchanged and the shares of the bank, on the issuance of the letters patent, become the property of the bank holding company free and clear of any charge, encumbrance or other restriction.
Marginal note:Effect of provision
(3) An exchange of shares of a bank referred to in subsection (1) under a provision included in the letters patent incorporating a bank holding company does not deprive a person who was a holder of shares of the bank immediately before the exchange of any right or privilege with respect to the shares or relieve the person of any liability in respect of the shares, but that right or privilege must be exercised in accordance with this Act.
Marginal note:Transfer and voting of shares
(4) Despite subsection (3), no share of a bank holding company that is deemed to be issued under a provision included in the letters patent incorporating a bank holding company may subsequently be transferred or voted contrary to this Act.
Marginal note:Shareholder approval
(5) No provision described in subsection (1) may be included in letters patent issued under section 671 unless the application for the letters patent is accompanied by evidence that the request for the provision was approved by a special resolution of the shareholders of the bank at a shareholders’ meeting called to consider the application.
Marginal note:Exchange of share certificates
(6) If, under a provision included in the letters patent incorporating a bank holding company, a share exchange is deemed to have taken place, the bank holding company shall, within ninety days after the issuance of the letters patent, make provision for the issue of share certificates representing shares of the bank holding company and for the exchange of those certificates for share certificates representing the shares of the bank that were outstanding on the effective date of the letters patent.
- 1999, c. 28, s. 71;
- 2001, c. 9, s. 183.
Marginal note:Proposal involving fundamental change
678. (1) On application, made in accordance with the regulations, by a bank to give effect to a proposal to incorporate a bank holding company as the holding body corporate of the bank, to continue a body corporate as a bank holding company of the bank or to amalgamate two or more bodies corporate and continue those bodies corporate as a bank holding company of the bank — and to make any other fundamental change to or in respect of the bank, including an exchange of any or all of the shares of the bank for shares of the bank holding company — , the Minister may, to give effect to the proposal,
(a) include in the letters patent of the bank holding company issued under section 671, 684 or 809 any provision the Minister considers necessary; or
(b) despite any provision of the Act specified in regulations made under paragraph 2(e), give any approval that the Minister considers necessary.
(2) The Governor in Council may make regulations
(a) respecting applications referred to in subsection (1), including their form and the information to be contained in them, and authorizing the requesting of additional information in respect of such applications;
(b) respecting proposals to which subsection (1) applies, including the information to be contained in the proposals and the times within which the transactions involved in them must occur;
(c) respecting the procedures to be followed by a bank that makes an application under subsection (1);
(d) respecting the approval, confirmation or authorization, if any, of all or any portion of proposals to which subsection (1) applies, including the approval of shareholders and including the terms and conditions of those approvals, confirmations or authorizations and their effect; and
(e) specifying provisions of the Act for the purpose of paragraph (1)(b).
- 1999, c. 28, s. 72;
- 2001, c. 9, s. 183;
- 2007, c. 6, s. 106.
- Date modified: